SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-05-05, 08:09 PM   #1
Sudoxe

Default fitting oxford humpback panniers

fitting oxford humpback panniers on A K4...
Having a bit of trouble, although only half reading the manual...

It says the two large straps should go under the seat, but they dont seem to want to fit under the pillion seat. Anyone know how to fit these properly?

Off to have another look now

Cheers
Dan
Old 25-05-05, 08:31 PM   #2
Iansv

The middle strap goes under the seat... the other two go over the seat and velcro to each other....

thats if the velcro's are the same as last years ones...

I've used my panniers about 10 times, don't think they've ever fitted the same twice, its hit and miss just gotta get them stable
Old 25-05-05, 09:56 PM   #3
Sudoxe

Sorted. Kinda.

I was reading the manual wrong. Connect the two opposing straps togeather under the seat. Means just that, one strap on each side and not the two big ones! Doh!

Dan
Old 26-05-05, 09:50 AM   #4
coombest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudoxe
Sorted. Kinda.

I was reading the manual wrong. Connect the two opposing straps togeather under the seat. Means just that, one strap on each side and not the two big ones! Doh!

Dan
Shouldn't be too hard. My Oxford sports panniers went on fine and I just left the upper straps connected most of the time, so that I could just lift them on & off the bike, simply attaching the velcro under the rear end and tying the straps to the pillion pegs & the grab rail.
I could then strap everything else (tent, etc.) to the panniers!

Make sure you use plenty of Oxford blanket type stuff as you will scratch your paintwork otherwise!
Old 26-05-05, 09:54 AM   #5
thor

Duct tape also works for protecting the paint.
Old 26-05-05, 09:55 AM   #6
BillyC
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coombest
Make sure you use plenty of Oxford blanket type stuff as you will scratch your paintwork otherwise!
Dan's probably not too worried about this last bit!
Old 26-05-05, 10:20 AM   #7
coombest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by coombest
Dan's probably not too worried about this last bit!
Well, yeah - fair play!!
Old 26-05-05, 10:39 AM   #8
Oxprod

Quote:
I just left the upper straps connected most of the time, so that I could just lift them on & off the bike, simply attaching the velcro under the rear end and tying the straps to the pillion pegs & the grab rail.
Man, you guys really scare me sometimes!

On a pointy you can simply put the centre strap under the seat, the other two over, and then attach the adjustable straps to the hand rail and pillion foot pegs. No need for bungees then, and they are rock solid. Perfectly postioned for pillions to rest their legs on as well. My Mrs loves em!
Old 26-05-05, 10:43 AM   #9
coombest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxprod
Quote:
I just left the upper straps connected most of the time, so that I could just lift them on & off the bike, simply attaching the velcro under the rear end and tying the straps to the pillion pegs & the grab rail.
Man, you guys really scare me sometimes!
I think I should make that clearer, so as to not cause any confusion!

I left the top straps connected when removing the panniers from the bike! allof the straps were connected when they were fitted, even though the under seat straps weren't as long as they could have been! The panniers were so solid, they wouldn't even move a centimetre without being slackened off!
Old 26-05-05, 10:46 AM   #10
Oxprod

phew! my faith in the motorcycle massive is restored