SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2007 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2007 SV650.org's bigger & better annual rideout.

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-07, 04:02 PM   #41
Dicky Ticker

Default Re: ride-out route

What about A59--J36M6--A590Levens--Newby Bridge--A592--Windermere--
J40M6--Penrith--A66--Brough--A695--A683--Sedbergh--A684--Hawes--
B6255--Ribblehead--B6479--Settle--A59--Austwick

If people are finding it a bit much they can shorten the last leg by staying on the A683 at Sedbergh to Kirby Lonsdale and back down the A65 to Austwick

Some nice easy roads Lakes and Moors,mixed bag and not to far
Short=110miles
Long = 140miles

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 03-06-07 at 04:09 PM. Reason: mileage added

Old 03-06-07, 05:16 PM   #42
El Saxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky Ticker View Post
What about A65--J36M6--A590Levens--Newby Bridge--A592--Windermere--
J40M6--Penrith--A66--Brough--A695--A683--Sedbergh--A684--Hawes--
B6255--Ribblehead--B6479--Settle--A65--Austwick

If people are finding it a bit much they can shorten the last leg by staying on the A683 at Sedbergh to Kirby Lonsdale and back down the A65 to Austwick

Some nice easy roads Lakes and Moors,mixed bag and not to far
Short=110miles
Long = 140miles
Sorry to be a pedant, but I'm guessing you mean the A65 and not the A59?

Sounds like it could be a good route - I could give it a try later this week (anyone welcome to join me) if that'd help?

EDIT - meant to say I can try Jester666's suggestion too, i have Weds - Sat off work this week, so I can try both routes and see what works out better.

Last edited by El Saxo; 03-06-07 at 05:29 PM.

Old 03-06-07, 08:09 PM   #43
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Saxo View Post
Sorry to be a pedant, but I'm guessing you mean the A65 and not the A59?

Sounds like it could be a good route - I could give it a try later this week (anyone welcome to join me) if that'd help?

EDIT - meant to say I can try Jester666's suggestion too, i have Weds - Sat off work this week, so I can try both routes and see what works out better.
Just one note of caution here, at this time of year the lakes are going to be choc a block with caravans and day trippers not everyone in the group may be confident enough to spend the day overtaking to keep up with the quicker riders, dont mean to knock back peoples efforts btw

Old 03-06-07, 08:18 PM   #44
rictus01
Mega Poster

This thread has been open since Feb,the route and rider group are being organised by
Treacle

He and a couple of others are making the trip up to investigate a few possible routes (stops/petrol & Lunch locations) at the end of the week, following this trip a route will be planned and announced.

Those people that have PM'd me with suggestions have had them passed on to Treacle.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 04-06-07, 08:39 AM   #45
Dicky Ticker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Just one note of caution here, at this time of year the lakes are going to be choc a block with caravans and day trippers not everyone in the group may be confident enough to spend the day overtaking to keep up with the quicker riders, dont mean to knock back peoples efforts btw
Not much point going to the Lake District if you don,t visit the Lakes and as people are going to encounter taffic on the way to Austwick it will be good practice for them. Should the route be set on lesser "B"Class roads to avoid traffic we then incur much more difficult riding terrain. The previous rideouts have always had different levels of riding skills so providing you ride within your capabilities,be it slow/med or fast,as long as you are aware of the next stop-off point everybody meets up again,even stragglers in the slowest group
The route I suggested had taken this into account with faster A roads after the lakes to enable "catch-up" plus a short cut at the end staying on the main "A" road so that anybody/everybody could arrive back at the venue near enough the same time
I take your point full and well but we are always going to have different riding skills within a large group and as you can't please all the people all the time it
was suggested hoping to please some of the people some of the time.
The powers that be no doubt will take all these points into consideration when posting the agreed on route-----------We will just have to wait and see----------have faith but no doubt your comment has been noted.

Old 04-06-07, 05:24 PM   #46
TEC

Quote:
Not much point going to the Lake District if you don,t visit the Lakes .... Austwick
Two points, 1st being Austwick is not actually in the Lakes, its Yorkshire Dales National Park, plenty of bike roads there 2nd being the A65 being one of the more dangerous roads in the area Its a real nice bike road but with heavy traffic, limited overtake opportunities and the police tend to be there in force over weekends, not all the cars are marked either
Old 04-06-07, 05:58 PM   #47
Dicky Ticker

Sorry I mentioned anything now.

Old 04-06-07, 06:10 PM   #48
stewie

Quote:
Sorry I mentioned anything now.
don,t be

Old 04-06-07, 09:28 PM   #49
rictus01
Mega Poster

Guys can you vote here please

http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=90656

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!

Last edited by rictus01; 04-06-07 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 09:14 PM   #50
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

liked the route posted by jester666.
Have ridden them roads before. Riding via Kettlewell would be fun...as a suggestion , or tanhill- highest pub around. My fella says its a shame his ypvs is off road and hes coming on raptor cause he'd leave us all for dust like he did last year up Ayesgarth....
Perhaps I may be able to shake off the fear of the near head on crash i had up there last year

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
Closed Thread