SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 03-09-11, 12:21 AM   #1
DJ123
Mega Poster

Default My latest Mod

I have been wanting extra side lights for the front of the SV for a while. Been searching around the net trying to find OEM style side light stalks to replace the current indicators and some LED indicator mirrors. After some ebaying i bought some cheap(ish) mirrors from Hong Kong to try it out and see if i like the look of it. I also connected up the indicators as side lights to see how much extra light and visibility it will give people (not to give me a view of the road, extra light for people to see me). In the pictures they still have 21w orange bulbs in and so are a lot brighter than when i will install the 5w or 10w white bulb, not decided on which i am going for yet. The indicators are brighter than what they appear in the picture, the glare of the headlight dazzles the camera
Anyway here are the pictures;

DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 05:52 PM   #2
Lozzo

Default Re: My latest Mod

You've got 110W of headlights that take up almost the entire width of the front of your bike and think another 10 or 20W of tiny sidelights is going to make a difference to whether people see you. If they don't see the headlights mate, you're f***ed anyway, so why waste your time and money putting in poxy sidelights that they definitely won't take any notice off.

Rather than concentrate on people seeing you, how about taking a defensive riding course? I wear all black gear, ride an all black bike and ride pretty quick... but no-one ever pulls out in front of me because I second guess every other vehicle on the roads and react accordingly. It wouldn't make any difference if I wore a flashing bright yellow beacon on top of my lid, if someone's not looking it won't matter what lights you've got or whether you're wearing Hi-Viz.
Old 04-09-11, 06:04 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
You've got 110W of headlights that take up almost the entire width of the front of your bike and think another 10 or 20W of tiny sidelights is going to make a difference to whether people see you. If they don't see the headlights mate, you're f***ed anyway, so why waste your time and money putting in poxy sidelights that they definitely won't take any notice off.

Rather than concentrate on people seeing you, how about taking a defensive riding course? I wear all black gear, ride an all black bike and ride pretty quick... but no-one ever pulls out in front of me because I second guess every other vehicle on the roads and react accordingly. It wouldn't make any difference if I wore a flashing bright yellow beacon on top of my lid, if someone's not looking it won't matter what lights you've got or whether you're wearing Hi-Viz.
correct..

think about it! people crash into police cars and ambulances all the time so having extra lights makes no difference to the idiots who only look 10 feet in front of them, which BTW is about the average driver.

i know what lozzo means about 'prediction' but sometimes even that sixth seance doesn't work. command the road and others will notice, i delibeartly weave when out on the bike just so people notice me in their mirrors.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 06:14 PM   #4
DJ123
Mega Poster

every little helps as far as i am concerned. i'm happy with my riding, and do have that "6th sense" second guessing. I always ensure that others on the road can see me, and that my road position is prominent to my visibility of the road ahead.
It's something i've done and pretty happy with the way it looks, whether it makes a difference who knows?! not decided if i am going to keep it on full time yet, will see if it grows on me
Old 04-09-11, 06:48 PM   #5
Bluefish

Hey i like it, kinda like a Goldwing
Old 05-09-11, 07:15 PM   #6
Lozzo

Did you say your latest 'mod'?

You'll be wanting one of these next

Old 05-09-11, 07:23 PM   #7
DJ123
Mega Poster

i think i'll need to uprate my battery and alternator for that many lights!!!