SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-02-09, 07:55 PM   #1
zunkus

Default Matrix front Ohlins rear

I fitted the Matris internals plus damper cartridge emulator from same with great results. I completed my spending spree by splashing some dosh on an Ohlins rear shock with external reservoir and the bike is all the better for it. My only regrets are that I did this after ten years of complaining of poor ride quality from the stock suspenders and not doing the mod sooner.

My brother who now owns a Kawasaki z750 also bought the same Matris internals for the front and a Hagon rear. His bike got better but it feels too rigid on the Kwak's front. He fiddled with preload with some improvement but the fault remained, also we could not find how to adjust the shims on the damping cartridge. I sent a letter to the company (Matrix) but they did not seem to understand my English, (they're Italian).

Anybody with Matris here can advise?

ps No, this is not my brother after the operation It's his girlfriend Kizzy.
Old 11-02-09, 10:27 AM   #2
Mr Speirs
Mega Poster

Default Re: Matrix front Ohlins rear

Do you know what weight oil was put in there.
I dont have a Matris cartridge emuators, I have the racetech ones. With them there is a bolt which you turn to compress the spring which depending on the tension lets less or more oil out. In my experience for road biking you'll want it to be quite loose.
Mine were slightly too tight and on bumps in the road would feel like the front end was jumping off the floor.

Have you got a picture of the Matris ones?
Smokey Black Burnty 02 - Racetech Smoulderlators + .90kg BBQ Springs, zx10r shockingly toasted, Conti Road Attacks heat up very nicely, R&G Crash Bungs but what f**king use are they, No Colour Matched Hugger, Flame Extenda, Beowulf Titainium Oval Flame Thrower.
Mr Speirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 11:30 AM   #3
Dave20046
Mega Poster

I love your bike zunkus
Old 11-02-09, 12:45 PM   #4
zunkus

Thanks Dave. I wouldn't trade it for the world now.

The oil is quite thin already. It's 7.5.
Sadly I did not snap any pictures of the cartridge prior of installing. I was too anxious to get the bike on the road and test the things out. I'll try searching on the net for a picture maybe that'll enlighten us. It will be a 3itch to remove from the forks now though!
Old 11-02-09, 03:24 PM   #5
injury_ian

so thumbs down on the matris cartridge?
Old 11-02-09, 07:45 PM   #6
zunkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by injury_ian View Post
so thumbs down on the matris cartridge?
Not in my case. It's working great on the SV, not so great on the z750. Baffling really thay're basicaly the same forks but the weight distribution is a bit different, and my SV is with clip-ons and Kwaks with high up bars. Maybe it's the ergonomics, don't know, but I'm happy.
Old 12-02-09, 03:04 PM   #7
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunkus View Post
Not in my case. It's working great on the SV, not so great on the z750. Baffling really thay're basicaly the same forks but the weight distribution is a bit different, and my SV is with clip-ons and Kwaks with high up bars. Maybe it's the ergonomics, don't know, but I'm happy.
+1. I noticed the shims when fitting them, but it looked like a fiddly job to tweak them and as Zunkus says, nothing in the rather basic instructions about them. As it happened, they were great as stock for me, so one of those things I just forgot about once it was on my bike. Again, like Zunkus, I should have looked at them more closely before I fitted them to see if there was an easy way of tweaking them once they were in situ as it'd be a swine to work out now.

Sorry to hear they don't work as well on the zed as they do on the SV.
Old 12-02-09, 03:06 PM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Some cartridges like thin oil, try a 5w. Depends how they're valved.