SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 26-05-10, 03:14 PM   #1
matt_rehm_hext

Default Biking Spirit

On Sunday, me and my friend Ian were riding around in the sun, taking a route from Heathrow-->Marlow-->Henley-->Reading-->Windsor and on the way back, coming through Windsor Great Park, we stopped at a car park by the bit where people fly model planes and kites to look at the sunset.

There was a guy struggling with his Triumph Trophy 4, he'd lost the key in the park earlier and had no spare on him, or breakdown cover. He lived 60 miles away and didn't have a lot of options, it was already dark. We tried hot wiring the bike and bump starting it but no luck.

So in the end I gave him my disc lock to lock his bike whilst leaving it on it's own in the dark in the middle of nowhere, and Ian offered to ride him home or to his work in Reading to get a van so he could sort it out.

He got the bike ok and sorted it.

Today I get a call from him and he drops by to say thank you and to return the lock, and gives me £40 to share between me and Ian for our help.

That is the true biking spirit I have noticed in the nearly 4 years I've been riding and it's awesome

Matt.
Old 26-05-10, 03:17 PM   #2
G
Mega Poster

Default Re: Biking Spirit

Soooo...

Some scally claims to have lost his keys and ask you to help him hotwire a bike.

Scally then sells said stolen bike and cuts you in on the profit?

Only joking always nice to help someone.
Old 26-05-10, 03:18 PM   #3
matt_rehm_hext

LOL yeah I assisted the crime.
Old 26-05-10, 03:47 PM   #4
TazDaz

I wouldn't say it was biking spirit on his behalf...more like more money than sense for not having breakdown cover!
Old 26-05-10, 04:04 PM   #5
BigBaddad

Stuff the forty notes, you should have unlocked the disc lock and nicked it.
Old 27-05-10, 04:29 PM   #6
allantheboss

^^^Amused
Old 27-05-10, 04:56 PM   #7
Specialone

Without sounding all gushy there is defo a team / family spirit amongst most bikers, when i come off, 4 bikers went past and they all stopped to see if i needed help, i have asked someone when i have seen them on the side of the road looking like they were having bike trouble if they were ok, probably wouldnt have driving a car.
I have been parked in a layby/ bus stop before just taking a quick break and another biker come past with his thumb up asking if i was ok, that would never happen if i had stopped in my car.
Old 27-05-10, 05:15 PM   #8
allantheboss

^^^^Agreed