SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-12-21, 12:05 AM   #21
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: Older drivers and careless driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I went on a bike safe course this year, and the police officer running it said there were three (I think) covering two counties, which means they rarely get out on their bikes.

As I understand it they were replaced by highways officers (who aren't police) and ARVs, who definitely are.

This is correct from the ex traffic copper that I know, who did it in Hertfordshire (he used to be on the tv show regularly, but always had his face blurred out). They just don't have enough cars or police officers to staff them.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 12:11 AM   #22
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I went on a bike safe course this year, and the police officer running it said there were three (I think) covering two counties, which means they rarely get out on their bikes.

As I understand it they were replaced by highways officers (who aren't police) and ARVs, who definitely are.
Don't understand this . If you mean only 3 motorbike cops covering 2 counties, surely they would be out on their bikes more often to cover 2 counties !
I see police cars around when I am out and about and I assume it doesn't have to be an actual traffic cop to deal with a motoring offence if they see it.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 06:42 AM   #23
daktulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Don't understand this . If you mean only 3 motorbike cops covering 2 counties, surely they would be out on their bikes more often to cover 2 counties !
I see police cars around when I am out and about and I assume it doesn't have to be an actual traffic cop to deal with a motoring offence if they see it.
I think it was actually three cars, with two police per car, and I assume filling cars is considered more important. I'm sure there are still a lot of police cars out there who will pull you over, but not so many dedicated road police.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 08:04 AM   #24
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
No traffic police ?! Where do you live ?
North Wales. Very little traffic police. If there are any they are only working weekends and on bike honeypot roads or the EVO triangle. The standard of driving in N. Wales is appalling and would keep a squadron of marked cars busy 100% of the time.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 12:18 PM   #25
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
North Wales. Very little traffic police. If there are any they are only working weekends and on bike honeypot roads or the EVO triangle. The standard of driving in N. Wales is appalling and would keep a squadron of marked cars busy 100% of the time.
I was trying to find out how many traffic cops there are in North Yorkshire as a matter of interest but couldn't see anything on the police website.
ps no doubt enough to catch me if I do anything wrong !
pps what is EVO ?
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 12:55 PM   #26
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Quote:
pps what is EVO ?
https://www.total911.com/great-roads...orth-wales-uk/

This.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-21, 02:35 PM   #27
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Indeed Gary,

But even that road is policed much more lightly since the introduction of the average speed cameras along its entire length. So bad driving abounds, as long as your average speed is below 60. (doing very well if its not!) The A5 section is the only bit that is really affected by the average speed cameras.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote