SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2006 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2006 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 10-07-06, 09:55 AM   #1
Jabba

Default AR06 - rideout etiquette

Sorry about this, and maybe I'm being a bit of a wuss, but I'm not alone in thinking that there were some very dodgy ovetakes and generally poor/inconsiderate riding on display on the rideout.

The vast majority of peeps were fine, and I'm not complaining about being overtaken at all, it's just that one or two were cutting it a bit fine at times and seemed to have forgotten that there were a few newbie riders with us.

Discuss or tell me to feck off, I don't mind

Old 10-07-06, 09:57 AM   #2
Scoobs
Vipers Pillion Bitch
Mega Poster

It's gonna happen Jabs. Sometimes it's testosterone, sometimes it is just inexperience itself that leads to dodgy overtakes.

Live (hopefully) and learn.

Old 10-07-06, 10:01 AM   #3
Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs
It's gonna happen Jabs. Sometimes it's testosterone, sometimes it is just inexperience itself that leads to dodgy overtakes.

Live (hopefully) and learn.
my thoughts too scoobs its gonna happen

Old 10-07-06, 10:13 AM   #4
falc

I wasnt on the rideout so couldnt tell but I did hear about some dodgy overtaking, overtaking on the straights is generally a safe way of doing it, on the bends or just before is a no-no.

All I hope is that everyone learned and hopefully next time there on a rideout the will know better.

Old 10-07-06, 10:39 AM   #5
Jelster

Default Re: AR06 - too many overtaking risks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba-the-Hutt
Sorry about this, and maybe I'm being a bit of a wuss, but I'm not alone in thinking that there were some very dodgy ovetakes and generally poor/inconsiderate riding on display on the rideout.

The vast majority of peeps were fine, and I'm not complaining about being overtaken at all, it's just that one or two were cutting it a bit fine at times and seemed to have forgotten that there were a few newbie riders with us.

Discuss or tell me to feck off, I don't mind
There were a few that I witnessed, and one of which caused me to brake harder than I wanted too. Personally I think that Sportsbikes were seen by some as a "target" to get passed, which is fine in a small group with riders you know, but definately out of order in a large group with "unpredictable" riders......

One of the reasons we bugged out early.

Old 10-07-06, 10:40 AM   #6
Jabba

Yeah - I know it's gonna happen on any rideout and with that number of bikes, but some of this was plain stupid........crossing double white lines on blind crests and bends, overtaking without checking first that there was somewhere safe to tuck back in again thereby causing other riders to brake (sometimes heavily), etc.

I saw one person (who shall be nameless) nearly killed overtaking a learner driver; those of us behind braked thinking the rider was gonner.

Anyone who was actually on the rideout care to comment?

Old 10-07-06, 10:42 AM   #7
Mogs

Unfortunately I couldn't make it this year, but there was some dubious riding last year, as a group we should not tolerate it. It's bad enough that the cages want to take us out, but by "friendlies", No Thank You.

Old 10-07-06, 10:49 AM   #8
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

First of all, this is not a critiscm of John, Ed, Daryl or anybody else that was involved in organising the route or the stop points. AR06 was possibly the best organised rideout I have been on. Marking the junctions etc was superbly done.

However I think there were a small minority of riders who for me pulled of some dubious moves. I'm not going to name names, but some of you need to have a serious think about the way you ride, you put others and yourselves at risk.

Remember its not a fricken race. Leave some space between yourself and the bike in front and don't overtake if theres no gap for you to pull back into. All you do is make the rider behind brake hard. Also remember that those of us with pillions needed a bit more room to stop in.

I think the trouble is, that with such a big mix of riders, riding ability and bikes with different characteristic's and a group of riders who's riding you don't know sometimes stuff like this is going to happen.

We're here to have fun.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
Old 10-07-06, 10:49 AM   #9
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

I think a lot of the dodgy overtakes were because no one was willing to leave a safe gap in front of themselve to allow people to pull in. It was as if they had got that far to the front and they weren't going to let anyone push them back.
Old 10-07-06, 10:57 AM   #10
lynw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs
Unfortunately I couldn't make it this year, but there was some dubious riding last year, as a group we should not tolerate it. It's bad enough that the cages want to take us out, but by "friendlies", No Thank You.
Thats precisely why this year I made a point of being at the back. Bearing in mind at last years rideout Id very little confidence following 4 accidents in the space of 6 months there were times I felt pressured and with some dubious overtakes I was not happy.

This is why this year I made a point of being last out and at the back knowing Ed was the only bike behind me and I didnt have to worry about a repeat, other than non-AR06 bikes coming past.

Have to say, I really enjoyed it this year without having to worry about someone elses riding or holding people up for long. Huge thanks to Ed for his patience