SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Thames Valley Rideouts and meets for Thames Valleyers and beyond..

Old 22-02-09, 09:17 PM   #1
pencil shavings

Default Servicing - 15,000

Im coming up for my 15k serivce, and dont really think I would have a clue what I was doing, so where should I take it in the reading area? Or does anyone with the tools for valve clearance checking fancy coming around and watching me while you tell me what to do?

cheers!
Old 22-02-09, 10:52 PM   #2
philbut

Default Re: Servicing - 15,000

Its not really that tricky - all you need is a set of feeler (sp?) gauges and a haynes manual (assuming you already have a decent socket set). reading is a bit far really for me, plus I'm stuck in the garage rebuilding my 7R at the mo.
Old 23-02-09, 09:07 AM   #3
walkaboutandy

I thought that valve clearances don't need to be checked till 25,000? I had mine checked last summer after 30,000 miles and they didn't need any adjustment.
Old 23-02-09, 09:45 AM   #4
sandman

I think they need to be checked at approximately 15k ( i am waiting till 16k)
The guy who i use for services said they are rarely out but it is worth while to check just in case.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-09, 10:35 AM   #5
philbut

If they do not need adjusting then its a pretty easy quick job. If you are not confident doing the adjustment, I'd still do the check to save yourself the cost of someone taking your bike apart only to find it doesn't need doing!
Old 23-02-09, 12:54 PM   #6
pencil shavings

Cheers guys, I guess it makes sence to try it myself. I think I should be able to check it myself if its fairly straight forward to do.
Im also not sure on bearings and checking them. I think the head stock bearing might be on the way out, I think there is a tiny nocking noise under breaking which I believe would be becasue of this, am I right?
Old 23-02-09, 04:41 PM   #7
Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencil shavings View Post
Im also not sure on bearings and checking them. I think the head stock bearing might be on the way out, I think there is a tiny nocking noise under breaking which I believe would be becasue of this, am I right?
It's a possibility but not restricted to this. Easiest way to check is to unload all weight on the front and give the steering a good shake back and fore. You will feel instantly if there is any give in the bearings. Don't rule out it being the suspension knocking if you have standard internals. Or even the front wheel bearings.
Old 23-02-09, 05:04 PM   #8
Sosha

Plus if it is the Headstock they may just need adjusting (Assuming the SV has ordinary bearings not tapered cos I've never looked)

Give away for dead'uns is graunchy (or notches....) when turning forks from side to side with the front wheel off the deck.

Discalimer: I know nothing
Old 24-02-09, 12:08 AM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Checking the clearances is pretty easy, if adjustment is needed then even though there are many engines that are fiddlier than the SV to adjust, unless you're completely sure of what you're doing it's probably best entrusted to someone who is able.
As for the schedule, the service intervals are primarily given in kilometres and then rounded for conversion into miles. The actual interval is 6000 km, rounded this is made 4000 miles, by the time you get to the fourth service, the valve service - 24,000 km which is closer to 15,000 miles - we've rounded up to 16,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Plus if it is the Headstock they may just need adjusting (Assuming the SV has ordinary bearings not tapered cos I've never looked)
Both ball and roller bearings can need adjusting.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-09, 12:49 AM   #10
pencil shavings

cheers, Im on 14,9?? so I will be at 15k shortly. Oil and filter change I should be able to do as well as the checking some of the bearings but I dont really know what Im looking for. The thorttle body sync requires tools I dont have, is there anyother way or do I need vacuum gauges? and the valves... looks daunting.

I think I will have to take it somewhere to get those jobs done, rather be safe than sorry!