SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 31-08-06, 07:08 PM   #1
ianofbhills

Default FAO gsxr front end pointy owners. clip on clearance issues

Right i've got my 2004 usd radial front end on and i'm pretty happy with it so far except i;ve had a bit of a problem with clearance issues with the clip ons.

origionally i had the stock gsxr clip ons and the bars crushed my fingers slightly on to the tank at full lock and even worse when i turned the bars full left the front brake lever fouled the plastic clock surround thus applying the front brake..... obviously not good with the radial front end

I ended up cutting a small hole in the plastic clock surround to allow space for the lever when on full left lock as seen in this pic

I wasnt happy with the clearance of the bars on the tank nor the stinking hole in the clock surround so i bought some tl1000s clip ons which raise the bars and solve my clearance issues on the tank... It also made my lever and clock surround tolerance even worse so much so that i have just removed the clock surround completely which solves my issues if looking a bit gash

I'm not completely satisfied with the look without the clock surround and i would like to refit it but what are my options? what does everyone else use clip on wise?

i suspect the problem is due to using a radial master cylinder and the pazzo lever but i'd like to keep them really.

any input appreciated
Old 31-08-06, 07:28 PM   #2
TLMark

some new lock stops you'll lose some turning circle but its better than that hole in the surround
Old 01-09-06, 12:52 PM   #3
SV650Racer

I have used LSL offset high clip ons on my racebike with the same conversion as the std GSXR clip ons didnt give enough clearance on full lock to pass technical inspection. They have also raised the bars a little to allow me to run the brake lever set further downwards. Far safer than adding more lockstops, as reducing the lock on a bike can cause big problems when your turning round.

They retail at £155 a pair and are very sexy, the bars come in various colours too.

Here is the info about them translated to english..its not my bad punctuation!

The racing variant offset High is designed extremely easy and offers a disalignment of 25mm forward and 37mm upward. The clip is silver-shining anodized; the torque tube angle amounts to 5°. The torque tubes are identically to the sport match in seven colors selectable
Old 01-09-06, 01:59 PM   #4
chunkytfg

Just ordered a set of those LSL ones for my GSXR front ended bike.

Yes they are very sexy but i'm not enough of a tart to get the coloured ones
Old 01-09-06, 02:11 PM   #5
SV650Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkytfg
Just ordered a set of those LSL ones for my GSXR front ended bike.

Yes they are very sexy but i'm not enough of a tart to get the coloured ones
didnt you know the silver ones are the new bling...

BTW they are here..along with your QA throttle...no disc bolts as yet though. Will that be enough to do your TD monday?...
Old 01-09-06, 02:39 PM   #6
TLMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer
Far safer than adding more lockstops, as reducing the lock on a bike can cause big problems when your turning round.
Big problems you only need a couple mil just to stop fouling unless you ride around in little circles in car parks it only takes a few rides to get used to them don't cost 150 odd quid either in fact you could make them yourself.
Old 01-09-06, 03:21 PM   #7
SV650Racer

just accounting from fact when i rode a bike that someone had reduced the lock on, reducing the turning circle makes getting out of tricky situations harder and bike hitting deck is a big problem. if he has the same problems i had with mine fouling the fairing it needs to be a few more than a couple of mm which isnt a perfect solution.

Yes it is the radial lever that causes most of the problem. You can stick a normal one on but it wouldnt be as good as what you have.

Ideally the LSL bars are an idea. Ideally you need some which have a larger rise to them and are offset backwards slightly and face downwards at around a 5 degree angle. Unfortunatly pulling the std ones back doesnt work as it then hits the tank before the lockstops.

I researched for some "ideal" bars for sometime and these came up the best in respect of fit and cost...some were waaaaay more expensive. Plus i liked the fact that you can change the bar if you damage one.

Have a search round on the net to see what else you can find. Remember you need a 50mm clamp.
Old 04-09-06, 11:05 AM   #8
uthaug

I use stock K4-K5 gixxer750 clip-ons and a gixxer750 radial mc like yours.

Yes the brake lever just touches the black plastic at full lock.
Only notice it when doing parking manouvers and even then it's not a problem. It doesn't seem to activate the brakes enough to matter.

Haven't noticed tank clearance issues.
I'm close, but not to the extend where I would call it an issue.
Old 04-09-06, 11:23 AM   #9
northwind
Mega Poster

Those LSL ones are lovely, might have to get me some of that My Brembo m/c just brushes the plastics at full left lock, unless I have the span set to the smallest- so I do that for MOT time to make it pass, and then put it back to normal after. Different situation, o'course. Had to cut a wee bit off the adjuster too.

Ian, are you using stock or TL bars? The TL ones helped me out a bit with mine, since the m/c's mounted at a more downwards angle it sticks forwards less far.

Also, that lever- you tart
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-06, 04:22 PM   #10
ianofbhills

i'm on tl 1000 s bars now as recommended by you northy.

its loads better clearance wise on the fairing but i've still had the problem with the plastic clock surround.

i'm just running with the surround removed now and i've got no problems other then it looking a bit pap but then my scraped up multi coloured fairings are'nt exactly stunning.

those lsl bars do look nice tho i might try them eventually.

sv650racer its interesting to hear you still get clearance problems even when using gsxr bodywork.