SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-02-11, 09:58 PM   #1
hardhat_harry

Default Curvy Cam swap

Finished mine today and started it up, sounded a little cam chainy for a couple of seconds then sounded great.

Took about 8 hours in all stripping and rebuilding the bike and all that plus I was being careful.

Oulton on Tuesday to try it out then dyno before the end of the month to see if there is any improvement on the last run with normal cams

Yay me!!!
Old 05-02-11, 10:54 AM   #2
NedSVS

Default Re: Curvy Cam swap

I did this mod a few years ago now and like it very much, especially for track day use. It didn't give me enough extra power to notice the difference by the seat of my pants dyno, but it does extend the useful rev range so you can hold a gear a little longer. At my first track day at Oulton, not long after doing the cam swap, I found it a lot easier to hit the rev limiter in the lower gears but I soon got used to it. Good luck with the weather on Tuesday - BBC 5 day forecast looks promising.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 06:42 PM   #3
hardhat_harry

Finished everything I needed to do on the bike today, new chain, bodywork fitted.

One thing I have noticed when I hit the rev limiter I have fire coming out of the exhaust also it does the same thing when I shut the throttle then open it up quickly.

Anyone else seen this?

Looks cool btw I'll see it the track photo gets any pictures of the flames.
Old 05-02-11, 06:52 PM   #4
maviczap
Mega Poster

If you've got more fuel going in, because the valves are open for longer, then if it doesn't all get burnt in the combustion then its going to end up in the exhaust and ignite there?

Just my logical thinking, I could be wrong, I have been before
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 07:27 PM   #5
hardhat_harry

thats what I was hoping
Old 05-02-11, 09:52 PM   #6
NedSVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat_harry View Post
One thing I have noticed when I hit the rev limiter I have fire coming out of the exhaust also it does the same thing when I shut the throttle then open it up quickly.

Anyone else seen this?

Looks cool btw I'll see it the track photo gets any pictures of the flames.
Didn't happen when I did the cam swap but I noticed it on a dyno run I had before I got my Factory Pro stage 2 kit. I had lifted the Dynojet needles so much, to get good acceleration, that when you shut the throttle excess fuel was leaking past the needle/needle jet and burning off on the over run.
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-11, 11:30 PM   #7
street racer

Due to the mixture being too rich and the excess is lighting at end, need re-adjusting
Old 05-02-11, 11:33 PM   #8
hardhat_harry

Its due at the dyno before the end of the month with its fast airfilter on for rejetting and testing.

Its at Oulton on Tues a trial run and Anglesea after the dyno run.
Old 07-02-11, 04:00 PM   #9
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I'm a fan of this mod too, I already had dyno set-up for filter/zorst. A dyno run after fitting the cams showed a/f fine all over (others have said the same too). You'll find a dollop of extra torque holding on the the red line, sot he power builds all the way up there instead of tailling off after 8k or so. Opens a few eyes on the track...
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote