SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-04-21, 02:38 PM   #1
LMS

Question '09 Pointy SF - Electrical issue - No power.

Hello all.

I realise there are a few other posts of this nature and have searched and read a little on the subject. I've basically got no power / lights / pump prime etc once the battery is hooked up. I've even had a spark from the neg at the battery once connecting. I'm assuming it's because the fuse was dead and didn't realise.

I had brief power at one point where I flicked on the ignition and the pump started to prime and then the main fuse blew and I went back to square one.

I've blown the main 30A twice trying to investigate. I had a little look for the green plug of doom today and had a fiddle. I'm hoping from the pictures shown at the below link someone can confirm whether or not they think the plug is the issue. The contacts look clean to me albeit a scorch on a red wire running to it which is quite small.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any and all help if any of you can point me in the right direction. Thank you.

https://imgur.com/gallery/iYzQN8i
LMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-21, 05:14 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: '09 Pointy SF - Electrical issue - No power.

hard to say for sure from that pic as it does not show the contacts but i would say its shorted out and fried the contact. dont bother trying to find the contacts and just bridge the offending burnt out wire with insulated bullets and a spare length of wire. you will need 2 of each male and female to create a bridge wire.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-21, 06:27 PM   #3
LMS

Thanks Bibio. I'll have another poke around and see if I can get the wires clear from the plug to have a closer look.

It was kind of an awkward incident when it went out. I was heading down to a roundabout at about 5500 / 6000 rpm and braking etc. All of a sudden the bike died completely. I managed to get it off the road and home but yeah almost a brown pants moment if happened mid turn.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm not much of an electrics person.
Old 19-04-21, 06:33 AM   #4
shiftin_gear98

Do you have an alarm fitted?
When mine started to die it took out the 30 amp fuse whilst riding. It happened twice before I removed the alarm.
Old 19-04-21, 09:39 AM   #5
LMS

Hi Shiftin. No, no alarm. No PC or anything like that. Minus a set of Mini indicators and front headlight bulbs I haven't added anything aftermarket electrically. Bulbs are all Halogen too.
Old 19-04-21, 10:23 AM   #6
LMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
just bridge the offending burnt out wire with insulated bullets and a spare length of wire. you will need 2 of each male and female to create a bridge wire.
This is going to sound a little stupid but is there any particular gauge of wire I should use? I imagine at basic it would need to carry 30A. Sorry if that sounds a bit thick.
Old 19-04-21, 10:39 AM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

anything household that carries 13a will be just fine e.g. like and old extension cable or kettle lead, anything as long as its broken or has a normal plug which you can put back after cutting enough wire.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-21, 10:56 AM   #8
LMS

Ah nice, thanks Bibio.
Old 19-04-21, 06:43 PM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

If I fit anything extra to bike or car I fit an inline fuse - same with house, I feed through a fused spur. It called discrimination ( and these days only electricians are allowed to discriminate LOL ). It basically means the fuse or breaker nearest the equipment blows and power to other equipment is unaffected - with the fused plugs we use in UK you automatically get discrimination ( even better if the fuse fitted matches the power of device ). Trouble with bikes they don't get many fuses fitted - car electrics normally better protected. So on a bike the main fuse blows and you get very few clues what blew it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-21, 04:47 PM   #10
LMS

Thanks SV650rules, i'll certainly give it some thought. I have a set of bullets and some lengths of wire on route ala eBay. I'll have a look and see how I could include it but I imagine it would be more useful on a complete bypass of the plug opposed to just the one wire and then installing it further down the line. My electrical knowledge and skill is cave man at best. Cheers for the tip.