SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 09-08-21, 11:19 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Vegetarian

So my giving up on eating meat and showering every other day hasn't fixed it, then? (Don't be deceived by url, it is missing the word "no").

https://phys.org/news/2021-08-good-n...c-climate.html

I think the word they were looking for to describe our situation rhymes with "ducked".
Old 09-08-21, 01:34 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vegetarian

we cant fix it or turn the clocks back so why worry. the earth has been heating up since the last big ice age... yes we are not helping but it climate change WILL happen no matter what we do. can we slow it down? NO.. can we fix it? NO..

if you want to blame anyone blame the iron age when they cut down all the trees to make charcoal.

Last edited by Bibio; 09-08-21 at 01:35 PM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 01:45 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

LOL, Climate change is to governments what the 'boogie man' who lived in the wardrobe was to parents of naughty kids, something to threaten us with. Governments still loathe to let go of the covid powers they took, and keep qualifying any sign that deaths are decreasing by saying well, it may be a bit soon to start thinking covid no longer a bigger treat than annual influenza....

The Earth is self regulating, more CO2 = more plant growth, higher temperatures = more humid polar air and more snowfall in arctic. Areas like Egypt and middle east used to be lush and green with large areas of water, the only way that can happen is ( like India and the monsoons ) that the middle east was hotter than it is today. The Earth is wobbling on its axis, the moon keeps us fairly stable, a 1 degree wobble either way can plunge us into another ice age or warm the planet. Some scientists thing present warming is a warning of another ice age, but if they say it out loud they will get their funding removed and be banned by the media for going against the party line, so for an easy life just go along with the MMGW crowd - it puts food on the table.

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-next-ice-age-1434950

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-long-c...ience_products

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 09-08-21 at 01:52 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-21, 01:56 PM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
LOL, Climate change is to governments what the 'boogie man' who lived in the wardrobe was to parents of naughty kids, something to threaten us with. Governments still loathe to let go of the covid powers they took, and keep qualifying any sign that deaths are decreasing by saying well, it may be a bit soon to start thinking covid no longer a bigger treat than annual influenza....

The Earth is self regulating, more CO2 = more plant growth, higher temperatures = more humid polar air and more snowfall in arctic. Areas like Egypt and middle east used to be lush and green with large areas of water, the only way that can happen is ( like India and the monsoons ) that the middle east was hotter than it is today. The Earth is wobbling on its axis, the moon keeps us fairly stable, a 1 degree wobble either way can plunge us into another ice age or warm the planet. Some scientists thing present warming is a warning of another ice age, but if they say it out loud they will get their funding removed and be banned by the media for going against the party line, so for an easy life just go along with the MMGW crowd - it puts food on the table.

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-next-ice-age-1434950

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-long-c...ience_products

Wow, I never thought I could disagree with someone so much about anything. So, I'll just leave it there and move on.
Old 09-08-21, 08:50 PM   #5
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
we cant fix it or turn the clocks back so why worry. the earth has been heating up since the last big ice age... yes we are not helping but it climate change WILL happen no matter what we do. can we slow it down? NO.. can we fix it? NO..

Couldn't agree more with you Bibs!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-21, 06:09 PM   #6
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
can we fix it? NO.

What, not even Bob the Builder can fix it ? we are doomed, doomed I tell you.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-21, 06:57 PM   #7
DavePreston 1

No kids = not my problem

yes im a Cu#t but i'll be long dead so hey ho fill er up with 4 star
DavePreston 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-21, 02:08 PM   #8
redtrummy

This was taken from the Homebrew forum (another weakness of mine) It clearly shows things starting to go wrong not long after the start of the Industrial revolution and is continuing to get worse..

What ever happens it will not affect me unless the ground where my coffin resides becomes too warm for comfort!
I am trying to make an effort to reduce my impact on mother earth, using less contaminating plastic, reusing/repairing items and using eco travel when I can (bike) A pretty pathetic effort maybe but at least I have tried.

Last edited by redtrummy; 14-08-21 at 02:35 PM.
redtrummy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-21, 12:14 PM   #9
ethariel

The World goes through cycles (if it does not, why have there been ice ages in the past?), human beings being the most destructive force in nature have been happily burning up stuff for the past hundred years in ever increasing quantities.

Has this contributed to a climate shift? - In all probability yes.

Can we do anything about it - NO

Collectively, the top 15 carbon generating countries generate 72% of CO2 emissions. The rest of the world’s 180 countries produce nearly 28% of the global total – close to the amount China produces on its own. (The UK is one of the 180 other countries by the way), the Main culprits are China, US, India and Russia account for over 50% on thier own.

Without the top 15 (well really the top 2 countries) making a concerted effort to reduce emissions, whatever we here in the UK do it utterly meaningless.
ethariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-21, 08:33 PM   #10
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethariel View Post
The World goes through cycles (if it does not, why have there been ice ages in the past?), human beings being the most destructive force in nature have been happily burning up stuff for the past hundred years in ever increasing quantities.

Has this contributed to a climate shift? - In all probability yes.

Can we do anything about it - NO

This is pretty much the opinion/view I've had on this subject, it really to me just all sounds like scaremongering to me and a way of governments getting more money out of us in taxation for "dirty" vehicles etc. Although I can't deny the link between vehicle fumes and respiratory health issues etc.
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote