SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-09-21, 05:19 PM   #1
lukas_0

Default click / cling noise when freewheeling

hi,
another day, another issue. today I heard the noise the 1st time when rolling to a red light at very low speed. sth like click / cling noise and a correlated "click" can be felt at foot rest ( and on the whole back of the bike what I discovered later).
1. the chain tension - checked
2. rear wheel alignment - checked
3. rear wheel bearings - checked
4. the chain oiled ( just in case, it has a good clean and oil every 500 miles or so)
the click is there even with the rear of the bike on a paddock stand. when chain tension is released, there is no click.
are my sprockets and chain worn out? I got the bike with new chain but have no information about service done before I got it. for sure nobody replaced rear brake fluid as it was brown. it is possible that sprockets were neglected too.

please take a look at the photos.
thanks in advance
Lukas
20210903_170613a.jpg

20210903_170449a.jpg
lukas_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 07:10 PM   #2
TamSV
Mega Poster

Default Re: click / cling noise when freewheeling

Sprockets look pretty new to me.

Was this freewheeling with the bike in gear and clutch pulled in? Could just be chain slapping about a wee bit?

Has the oil been changed recently? If you’re uncertain about servicing would be worth doing anyway.

Might sound daft but the lack of engine noise when freewheeling might just be showing up a noise that’s always there. I remember chasing a noise that turned out to be my disc lock rolling about under the pillion seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 07:16 PM   #3
TamSV
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas_0 View Post
the click is there even with the rear of the bike on a paddock stand. when chain tension is released, there is no click.
Sorry, only just noticed that bit.

Is that you rolling the wheel by hand with engine off or running it in gear under power? When you say chain tension released, what do you mean?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-21, 08:15 PM   #4
lukas_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
Sprockets look pretty new to me.

good news thank you

Quote:
Was this freewheeling with the bike in gear and clutch pulled in? Could just be chain slapping about a wee bit?

in gear and with clutch. tomorrow will check at neutral. had slapping before, different noise.

Quote:
Has the oil been changed recently? If youÂ’re uncertain about servicing would be worth doing anyway.
fresh good quality oil, correct oil level, filter replaced with oil. I done it myself (chronic lack of trust to mechanic)

Quote:
Might sound daft but the lack of engine noise when freewheeling might just be showing up a noise thatÂ’s always there. I remember chasing a noise that turned out to be my disc lock rolling about under the pillion seat.

for sure this is a new one and connected with physical impacts. I am thinking it can be sprocket or chainwheel sucking the chain. phenomenon pretty similar worn to bicycle drivetrain.

will
Old 03-09-21, 08:22 PM   #5
lukas_0

Quote:
Sorry, only just noticed that bit.

Is that you rolling the wheel by hand with engine off or running it in gear under power? When you say chain tension released, what do you mean?

rolling by hand with the wheel off ground with engine off. with engine running and when engaged 1st gear on paddock stand it made shooting noises ( repetitively clicking) pretty loud and then normal chain noise. the sprockets doesn't meshing the chain correctly?

tension released - back wheel axle loose and tension screws loosened (chain very slack)

ps. looks like my replay for your first post stuck somewhere in moderation

Last edited by lukas_0; 03-09-21 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-09-21, 08:58 AM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

check that the inner sprocket spacer is there between the sprocket hub and the wheel hub. or your tightening the chain too much.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 09:00 AM   #7
SV650rules
Mega Poster

How old is the chain, may be that links ( some more than others ) have stretched with wear and despite sprocket teeth looking OK could still produce a noise. Does the chain have a spring type split link or riveted joining link ? If not sure how old or the mileage of chain then replacing it would be a good place to start. As Bibio says, check the run of chain is parallel with sprocket, put a straight edge across sprocket face and make sure chain path is parallel to it ( need to take chain guard off )

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-09-21 at 09:04 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-21, 07:03 PM   #8
lukas_0

Default `

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
check that the inner sprocket spacer is there between the sprocket hub and the wheel hub. or your tightening the chain too much.

I do believe all should be where it should. the whole year had no issues with the drivetrain. the chain slack is always between 25 and 30mm, checked weekly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
How old is the chain, may be that links ( some more than others ) have stretched with wear and despite sprocket teeth looking OK could still produce a noise.
the chain is about a year old. it was new when I got the bike. but have no idea about themanufacturer, model or quality. I'm suspecting some super cheap Chinese stuff.

Quote:
Does the chain have a spring type split link or riveted joining link ?
Riveted master link

Quote:
If not sure how old or the mileage of chain then replacing it would be a good place to start. As Bibio says, check the run of chain is parallel with sprocket, put a straight edge across sprocket face and make sure chain path is parallel to it ( need to take chain guard off )
the tension and alignment were the first checks. all spot on. (have a gauge for chain alignment).

today surprise surprise all quiet and smooth. definitely sth with chain and possibly sprockets. will replace the chain with DID one as soon as possible. probably good quality sprockets will be replaced at the same time.

if it starts making the noise again we will be back in to this investigation.

thanks for all suggestions.