SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-09-21, 11:14 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Z900RS gearbox

Tomorrow I'm heading to Chris Walker Kawasaki to test ride a newer Z900RS to see if the gearbox clunks, they'll also ride mine to see if I have a problem.

Deja vu - I let another dealer ride mine one year ago and they observed what I was talking about but between the dealer and Kawasaki UK they didn't think it a problem. I do.

The problem concerns 6th gear, it is harder to get into 6th without minor noises and impossible to get out and back into 5th without a "clunk". All other gears work fine although nowhere close to the SV gearbox's operation.

In the last year I've approached about 20 Z900RS owners and questioned them about their gearboxes - none of them claim to have the issue but all are aware of it. Either I'm over sensitive and picky (possible, oh alright ... likely) or they're numb and insensitive. I've had bikes with notchy (but consistent) gearboxes, I've never had one that couldn't be made to change without a noise, until now.

If the demo bike doesn't clunk, I'd like to trade it for mine. Judging by the Z900RS forum a non-clunking bike is likely but it's a gamble - there are a few observing the same issue and I'd hate to get another brand new bike with the same problem.

If the demo bike does clunk then I'll throw in the towel and look for a different bike although, honestly, there aren't many bikes that I covet currently. I do like the Triumph T100 but it's heavier than the Zed (how is that possible?)

My Kawasaki dealer was 2 miles away but Kawasaki UK wanted more floor space and stock so Robspeed (the dealer) dropped the franchise and now I'm riding 65 miles to the next one (although the Hull dealer is closer). It's a toss up which is worse, navigating Hull or trying to get around Lincoln with its one-and-a-half bypasses (the eastern bypass doesn't connect with the A46 like the western bypass).
Old 20-09-21, 01:27 PM   #2
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: Z900RS gearbox

how many miles are on the bike?

personally i would ride up and down a DC or MW jumping from 5th to 6th as much as i could to see if it eases. if it were giving me a false neutral all the time i would be complaining.

my SV clunks (positive feel to the gearing). i like it.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-21, 02:04 PM   #3
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Whatever you do dont let Chris Walker ride it. Remember what he did to that GSXR in BSB? We had to endure Niel Hodgeson for ever after
Old 20-09-21, 04:26 PM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

The gear change on my AL7 is superb, there is no resistance it just enters the next gear up or down smoothly, quietly. Might not please everyone but it's what I expect, I enjoy changing gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
how many miles are on the bike?

personally i would ride up and down a DC or MW jumping from 5th to 6th as much as i could to see if it eases. if it were giving me a false neutral all the time i would be complaining.

my SV clunks (positive feel to the gearing). i like it.
The Zed's gearbox is not bad 1-5, you have to synchronise everything precisely, there's no leeway (unlike my SV) but if you stay focused, you can deliver smooth, quiet changes. Going up 5 to 6 has improved (I now have 3000 miles and full synthetic oil) but it is noticeably different from 1-5. There's the impression something might be fouling or catching on something. From 6 down to 5: "clunk" every time, you might get a quieter clunk or a louder clunk but it's always there. A bit like engaging first but without the judder although you can feel it through the footpeg.

Blipping, drifting with the clutch in then blipping, letting the speed drop to 30 mph in 6th then downshifting, downshifting above 70 mph. Noting what the revs would be in 5th for a particular road speed, declutching and matching those revs before downshifting. Tight chain, loose chain. I've tried most things I think. I expect to hear and feel the clunk and wince each time and I find myself making excuses to ride the SV and not the Zed so something has to change.

I have been told by a 636 Kawasaki owner that this is normal for a Kawa 'box. Why don't they mention it in the road tests then? Kawasaki need to pop round to see Suzuki and ask for lessons on gearbox building.