SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 18-04-11, 10:01 AM   #1
peterco

Default A93 Accident

From the BBC
18 April 2011 Last updated at 09:20

Two motorcyclists badly injured north of Glenshee

Two motorcyclists suffered serious injuries after a crash north of the Glenshee ski centre.

The accident happened on the A93 at about 1230 BST on Sunday.

A 48-year-old man from Edinburgh was airlifted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, where he was "critical but stable" with head and back injuries.

A 54-year-old man from the Dunfermline area was taken to hospital by road with serious back injuries. Grampian Police appealed for witnesses.

Get well wishes to these folk,hope it not any of the forum.
Take care out there

pete
SV650 Naked
BMW 650cs Scarfer
MZ RT 125 4 stroke
peterco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 12:27 PM   #2
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Re: A93 Accident

Found this on another forum, looks like the same:

Quote:
Air ambulance accident was about 2 miles from Glenshee Ski Centre heading back to Braemar.
Was out in the RS4 with 4 other NE RS4 owners and it happened literally right in front of us.

The first guy - for whatever reason - ran wide on the right hander and was off (Just where the helicopter's parked)

As soon as I seen the dust getting kicked up and him leaving the road I knew it was going to be pretty serious.
5 or 6 bikers following behind him passed by and started pulling up.
By the time I had checked my mirrors to see the road was clear to get out (which was no more than 15 seconds after the first bike), another biker at the back of the group left the road at pretty much the same point (target fixation perhaps??)
I don't believe either was carrying too much speed but thats just my opinion.

It was pretty horrendous stuff to witness.
Worst part was being first on scene, I really had no idea what I was about to come across and deal with. Thankfully both guys still were still breathing although unconscious.

There was an off-duty nurse 10 minutes behind us who played a huge part in directing everything until the paramedics and air ambulance arrived so a big thank you to her.

The guy I was dealing with had some horrific injuries and he was the one who went by air.
Heres hoping both make a speedy recovery.

Something for us all to think about, these guys landed in fairly open surroundings at nominal speed with no trees, fences etc and both were in bad way.

It also took the Paramedics almost an hour to arrive on scene and the chopper a further 15 minutes.

The biking season's only just kicked off so please ride safely and more importantly, ride within your own limits.
Quote:
Injuries were bad but he is ok, chatting away to his mum and dad, he basically broke his tib and fib, a couple of ribs, I think his collarbone too and something else.
Just to copy one line from the above:

The biking season's only just kicked off so please ride safely and more importantly, ride within your own limits.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 01:14 PM   #3
Quedos

echoing Dyzio's words but to copy another

Worst part was being first on scene, I really had no idea what I was about to come across and deal with. Thankfully both guys still were still breathing although unconscious.

Serious think about first aid too - even if its reading a book to give you some idea how to help and keep yourself safe
Old 18-04-11, 02:39 PM   #4
dyzio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedos View Post
even if its reading a book to give you some idea how to help and keep yourself safe
You're into this aren't you? Maybe you can recommend a book or something?
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-11, 03:30 PM   #5
Quedos

I suppose I am in a way. - I'm working on CRASH cards at the moment which help you as a First on Scene
as for books - really anything that deals with emergency first aid
you want to know how to make the scene and you safe, when to move any casualties, dealing with broken bones, blood loss and shock. What information to give to emergency services.

this is the one I swear by and get given at refreshers.

as long as you remember its emergency first aid and you won't know everything. the simple things of stopping and talking to people can be a big big help. Direct traffic take photos, call services get witnesses. this are all helpful stuff to
Old 18-04-11, 04:38 PM   #6
fenjer

Scary stuff.

Ride safe everyone.

And I echo the First Aid sentiments put forward by Q - you never know when you're going to need to put it into practice, it really could save a life.
Old 18-04-11, 08:30 PM   #7
johnmaciver32

One problem raising its ugly head nowadays is lawsuits..
Carrying out a possible life saving technique that you know how to do, but haven't officially been trained to do, can be potentially disastrous for all concerned if things don't go as planned. It's a shame its come to this too and completely goes against your instincts when faced with a severe accident.

Due to the nature of my job, I need 6 monthly refreshers on first aid and patient stabilization and every time I do one, we get even more changes, even more don't do...
"Just don't leave yourself open to litigation"is the favourite line with everything now.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
Old 18-04-11, 08:37 PM   #8
alastairb

As far as i am aware no one in the uk has been sued for administering first aid
Old 18-04-11, 08:42 PM   #9
fenjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaciver32 View Post
"Just don't leave yourself open to litigation"is the favourite line with everything now.
It's really sad it comes to this. Working in the most heavily litigated sector of the NHS I have to practise defensively all the time, it's sad to think that someone would think to sue you for trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairb View Post
No, but just wait, it's probably not that far away.
Old 18-04-11, 09:10 PM   #10
johnmaciver32

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairb View Post
It's a pretty grey area at the moment, so the risk is low, but several have tried..unsuccessfully.

It's one of the first questions asked in all first aid courses and unfortunately they advise that now..