SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Tyres Post your own reviews, opinions and experiences on this subject.

Old 26-05-13, 07:59 PM   #1
dyzio
Mega Poster

Default Pirelli Angel GT fitted

Bike: 2006 Triumph Daytona 675,
Current mileage: 10.9k
Price: £215 fitted
Distance since fitted: a mighty 60 miles

I was always going to fit sport-touring rubber (better to have decent grip in wet/dry rather than all grip in dry and none in the wet), all reviews seem to say the same thing:
http://www.visordown.com/product-fea...iew/22626.html

I have run the previous Angel ST on my Aprilia in the past and liked them. They were hmm.. "not perfect" in the wet and durability suffered with a heavy bike (duh!), but I couldn't complain about them in the dry, never had an issue.
They were a single compound tyre and Pirelli claimed that they avoided problems associated with dual compound tyres.

The new GT's are a dual compound tyre (Italians... ). Pirelli and the reviews claim that durability and wet weather performance were improved.

Initial thoughts:
- the profile of the tyre doesn't seem to be as steep as on the ST, but turn in is ok.
- on the first part of the run, you could feel that you're scrubbing a new set of tyres in. In my experience (50k ish miles) I've never felt this to be so noticeable.
- on the second part of the trip, the tyres inspired more confidence and I could increase the cornering speed.

So, the initial thoughst are good but be sure to give them time to scrub in.
Looking forward to the future miles, I'll update this in a few weeks.
dyzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-13, 10:27 AM   #2
Pricey12

Default Re: Pirelli Angel GT fitted

Will be interested to read your update on the GT's.

Am currently running ST's and can't really fault them so far.
Old 27-05-13, 10:57 AM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

In the past I had run Diablo Rosso, but couldn't get one when I blew out my rear and my fitter provided an ST.

It has never been confidence inspiring. I am looking forward to wearing the thing out.
Old 02-06-13, 07:09 PM   #4
dyzio
Mega Poster

Wee update,

Done approx 400 miles in Glencoe this weekend. Tyres performed pretty good.

Weekend consisted of a wet ride to Inverness, a few runs along Loch Ness to F. Augustus, a damp run up the Applecross road and a wet run down followed by some changeable conditions (wet->dry) on the way back to F. Augustus through Muird of Ord.

I'll second what the reviewers said, they seem to be ready to go from the moment you start riding, but I chose to give them a few minutes to warm everything up anyway.

They are not as quick to turn in as the ST's were, but still good.
The twitchyness I felt in the wet with the ST's wasn't there, in the dry there was never any issue.
At no point did I feel uncomfortable with then or thought I'm running out of grip.

They might not be to everyone taste, but I am very happy with my purchase.
Old 11-07-13, 03:06 PM   #5
SIII
Mega Poster

Bike: 2010 SV650 Sport,
Current mileage: 19k
Price: £120 fitted (rear)
Distance since fitted: a mighty 250 miles

Had a Angel GT on the rear for about 250 miles now, absolutely love it. Took no time at all to run in and feels very secure, much better than the strada I had before and much more confidence inspiring than the PR3 before that. I really do like this tyre. So happy went for it.

Have only ridden in the dry at the moment (In Scotland - who'd of thought that!!!) but feels way more stable and has upped my pace around a few of my favourite bends. Was fair belting along today (for me)

I am putting 1200 miles on it next week so we will see how it copes with big miles and whether it squares off quickly, like the Strada. Just hoping it gives decent miles - as claimed by Pirelli. Got 3.3k out of the Strada so if it can better that, i will be happy.

Last edited by SIII; 11-07-13 at 03:09 PM.
SIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13, 05:57 PM   #6
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Call back when its rainning..
Old 11-07-13, 09:55 PM   #7
SIII
Mega Poster

Was well happy with the Strada in the wet and that is their budget rubber, not heard any negative comments about GT in the wet - Have you ?
Old 11-07-13, 11:01 PM   #8
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Only that they spin in the wet
Old 21-07-13, 04:32 PM   #9
dyzio
Mega Poster

6000 miles later...
I took the bike around europe, temperatures ranged from -5C to +40, other than the expected, the tyres performed really well.

The only "moments" I had were either down to the rider or road conditions.

I had the front end slide on a hairpin, but I blame it on a silly lean angle, low speed and ambient temperatures close to 0.
The rear spun up a few times in torrential rain, but the road surface was covered with crap as well. On clean (wet) roads they were ok. Overall they did improve wet weather behaviour compared to the ST.

The rear did square a bit (had to get back on motorways), I've got around 1/3 - 1/2 tread depth left.

Still happy with the purchase.
Old 22-09-13, 05:57 PM   #10
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Pirelli Angel GT fitted

Got an Angel GT on the front to match the rear. Did 50 miles to scrub in and was as far over as i have ever been on any tyre ever. Probably too far for scrubbing in but didn't feel I was pushing that hard.

Been out today, over Kielder, Alston & Hartside - absolutely love these tyres. Front end feel is a step up from other tyres I have tried, as good a step as replacing the original Walnut Dunlops to Avons.

Rear still going strong after 3500 miles (usually scrapped a tyre by this mileage) but has started to square a little, but that was mainly due to my tour of Scotland in the summer.

Angel GT's are MCN product of the year, and I heartily agree.