SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Border Patrol Covering North Wales, Shropshire, Staffs, Merseyside and Cheshire for SV650.org members, past, present and future

Old 30-09-16, 11:32 AM   #1
aj76

Default Dreaded MOT approaching

Hi local(ish) orgers!

MOT is due at the end of November and as this will be the first time I have presented a bike for test I was wondering if there are any test centres anyone local to Liverpool would recommend?

Cheers,
AJ

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
aj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-16, 12:05 PM   #2
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Default Re: Dreaded MOT approaching

If your bike is roadworthy the Mot is a breeze.
Stop worrying about it.
Only when you find it's so un roadworthy it fails,then worry about the Maintaince on a thing you're trusting your life too....
Old 30-09-16, 12:11 PM   #3
aj76

I am actually more concerned about finding a decent place for bike Mot's. I take my car to an old Army pal I have known 25years and who will not rip me off. Some of the crap some garages have tried with cars over the years Im interested in any recommendations from orgers on local places they use as not one near me in south Liverpool I know of and it's my first year of riding so not had to take a bike in before.

Old 01-10-16, 12:08 PM   #4
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Yes it's a jungle out there.
If you get a fail on a item that's fine then apeal..
Shut the ripoff merchants down.
Old 03-10-16, 11:32 AM   #5
svrich_02

I always used Z and R motorcycles. He used to be mobile but has a shop now by Costco.
Sami is a really nice guy and his reputation is very, very good.
Old 23-11-16, 06:40 PM   #6
aj76

Cheers booked in with them for Saturday.

Old 24-11-16, 09:05 AM   #7
atassiedevil

Just remember 90% of MOT failures are on lights, tyres, indicators, exhaust, chain too tight or sprockets excessively worn etc. Beam pattern is another fail item lately due to people using HID kits in non HID headlamps.

If there was another problem, bearings etc, you'd probably already know about and have done something about it.

Check the above, all should be good.

C.
Old 24-11-16, 11:55 AM   #8
timwilky
Mega Poster

Don't dread the MOT.

I have never had a bike fail. It is an opportunity to get a second opinion that your bike is being correctly maintained and is in a safe condition.

I spend more time gassing with the tester as he waits for the clock to tick down, than he actually takes doing my tests. Then again he knows me and that I have never presented a wrong un in the 30 years I have been using his workshop.

Last time I was there he just failed a bike as the lock stops were non existent. The bars stopped when the reached the tank. Who would have been daft enough to present a bike like that.

Last edited by timwilky; 24-11-16 at 11:59 AM.
timwilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-16, 12:54 PM   #9
NTECUK
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Don't dread the MOT.

I have never had a bike fail. It is an opportunity to get a second opinion that your bike is being correctly maintained and is in a safe condition.

I spend more time gassing with the tester as he waits for the clock to tick down, than he actually takes doing my tests. Then again he knows me and that I have never presented a wrong un in the 30 years I have been using his workshop.

Last time I was there he just failed a bike as the lock stops were non existent. The bars stopped when the reached the tank. Who would have been daft enough to present a bike like that.
Some one with no Thumbs lol...
Old 27-11-16, 04:42 PM   #10
aj76

Bike flew through, thanks for the recommendation, anyone else near Liverpool I would recommend Sammi. Pointed out the risers fitted were not genuine and were too close to the tank and sorted them for me quickly before the test without charge. Doesnt make a bad coffee either. Will be getting a full service done there with my next MOT based on his advice. Was a bit miffed at the handlebar position being nit right as this was supposed to have been checked by the dealer before I picked it up in July.