SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-03-17, 05:45 PM   #21
millemille

Default Re: Lightened flywheels - group buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Suzuki chose to fit the SV650 with a heavy flywheel assembly; made of the flywheel itself and the starter sprag bearing housing.

The Curvy has a very, very heavy flywheel. The Pointy slightly less heavy, but still not light.

Suzuki did this to make the bike novice friendly because the rotating flywheel assembly has massive inertia; so the bike is difficult to stall, easy to launch from a stand and reduces engine braking.

But this has several drawbacks;

It give the crank a very hard time, particularly at high rpm, because every time each cylinder fires the crank is trying to accelerate but the inertia of the flywheel assembly resists this and is trying to twist the crank. This can lead to...

It blunts the performance and character of the engine because the heavy flywheel assembly is slow to accelerate and slow to decelerate.

It slows the bikes ability to change angle of lean (roll) because you're trying to effectively move the axis of rotation of very heavy gyroscope.

It makes it easier to lock the back wheel of down shifts if you're a bit clumsy with the clutch and revs.
millemille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 07:23 PM   #22
SheepShagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
You'll be chasing down Rossi in no time!

You've got a GSXR front on your haven't you? Thought about getting the forks sorted by Maxton or K-Tech?
I've had the forks rebuilt with ohlins springs, i'll see how i fare with them, not expecting to be pushing any limits any time soon

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 09:29 PM   #23
Ds77

I may be interested in doing this - when would you need the flywheel? Bike is down in Spain at the moment, hopefully back about 10 April.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ds77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 09:32 PM   #24
Grim-Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepShagger View Post
I've had the forks rebuilt with ohlins springs, i'll see how i fare with them, not expecting to be pushing any limits any time soon

I believe 650 means to suggest getting the spring rates and all else set for you and your riding preference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-17, 10:03 PM   #25
SheepShagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim-Lock View Post
I believe 650 means to suggest getting the spring rates and all else set for you and your riding preference

Front and rear have been sprung for my weight

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 09:12 AM   #26
Mega Poster

I meant more revalving the forks, I can't even tell you the difference it makes to any fork setup. My VFR750 has standard, non adjustable forks that were revalved for my weight and riding style. I've not ridden any other bike (and I've owned/ridden a fair few, believe me) that handles as nicely, it is quite literally on rails. You think were you want it to go and it just does it with no hiccups. Best money I ever spent on a bike.

I'm seriously contemplating having it done to the GSXR1000 forks I've bought, but as they cost me a fair whack...I'm thinking I'll put it off until next year and make do with them as-is at the moment. I've asked Maxton for a quote so I can update this here once they they get back to me.

Anyway, completely off topic - nasty looking pic up there!
Old 23-03-17, 02:11 PM   #27
biker_kev

Just dragging this back on topic!!

So far, interest is;

me - Biker_kev
Grim-Lock - assuming he can source a spare flywheel
Sheepshagger
DS77 - maybe?

Anyone else interested?
Old 23-03-17, 07:06 PM   #28
biker_kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds77 View Post
I may be interested in doing this - when would you need the flywheel? Bike is down in Spain at the moment, hopefully back about 10 April.

Cheers

We need 5 people to be interested for this to be worth it as far as Millemille is concerned. As far as I'm concerned I'd like to get this done asap, as I'm prepping my bike for the season, and I already have an offset woodruff key to fit, and an oil change to do, so thought I'd do them all at the same time, and I was hoping to get the bike back on the road for early April. I'm happy to hang on till the 2nd week in April though if you decide you definitely want to go ahead, and anyway there will be a 2 week lead time from sending off your flywheel.

Of course, if we don't get 5 definite yesses this may well be subjective!
Old 23-03-17, 07:16 PM   #29
Grim-Lock

I'm in, just waiting for delivery of the assembly

Grim-Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-17, 09:19 PM   #30
Ds77

I'll try and find out tomorrow when my bike is likely to be back and let you know asap

Is it a simple job to get the bits off - are there any special tools required? Bike is an 08 pointy.

Cheers

Ds77 is offline   Reply With Quote