SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-03-06, 04:26 PM   #1
JediGoat

Default Recycling old PC's

I recall reading an article about 6 months ago, about a British charity that takes old PC's (for about £10 charge) and recycles them for use in African schools.

As I've just treated my folks (well, it is their ruby wedding anniversary today, after all) to a new PC, I'd rather not just chuck their (very, very) old PC away.

So, has anyone else heard of this company (or other similar ones)? I'd be very grateful if anyone could supply an email address or phone number.

Ta
Jo

P.s. I couldn't actually afford a brand new computer, so I've spent the whole weekend playing internet poker to raise the money....and I was supposed to be decorating my kitchen
JediGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 04:35 PM   #2
tigersaw
Mega Poster

They only need go down our tip then, there is a section for PC's - and the monitor pile has to be believed They are mountained high...
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 04:39 PM   #3
JediGoat

I know I could just dump it (I have another dead PC at my house), but if possible I would rather they were put to good use, instead of using up landfill sites.

Jo -> in good samaritan mode
Old 05-03-06, 04:47 PM   #4
tigersaw
Mega Poster

You might be thinking of www.digitalaid.org though they seem to be US based only.
Also this site http://www.sitd.co.uk/computer_disposal_issues.htm actually suggests its illegal to export old pc equipment.[/url]
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-06, 04:51 PM   #5
JediGoat

I think I may have found them:

http://www.computersforcharities.co....84551929f85050

However, my pentium 100 my be too old!

Jo
Old 05-03-06, 05:28 PM   #6
Anonymous

I've run a computer recycling operation.

Here's my view:

1. People get rid of computers because they are too old to run modern games/business software, won't connect to the internet at an acceptable speed, are unreliable and generally not much use.
2. Therefore, what use are they to teach children? (And if anyone says they are for "poor Africans" I shall scream. Are they any less important than children anywhere else? They certainly won't get a better chance in life if they can't actually use modern programmes like Excel, PowerPoint, Internet etc etc).
3. What happens to most of these things (especially the monitors) is that they are smashed up to get at certain metals, plastics, circuit board connectors, rechargeable batteries etc. The remainder is then thrown in the nearest river with potentially dire ecological effect.

If you want to do some real good, ask Bill Gates and his chums to start making new ones in countries that need employment and raised skill-sets. Persuade them that, since new computers are so cheap, it would be good to donate a couple of thousand to each of the poorest countries in the world (after all, he once suggested he might donate umpeen hundreds to schools in this country and we are NOT poor!).

In the meantime, do the whole world a favour and take your old computer to a proper waste disposal centre, in this country, where recent law changes mean it will be disposed of safely and in an ecologically-acceptable way.
Old 05-03-06, 05:37 PM   #7
JediGoat

Wow! Ok

Was just trying to recycle something that may be of use to someone else, rather than just throwing it away.

Point taken.

Jo
Old 05-03-06, 05:55 PM   #8
Anonymous

No offence meant! Just one of those silly topics on which I have strong views!
Old 05-03-06, 06:02 PM   #9
JediGoat

No offence taken.

Jo
Old 05-03-06, 06:14 PM   #10
Iansv

Got a couple of hundred ****ty old p2 dells at work, they've been trying to get shot of for ages

no-one wants em