SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-10-09, 12:25 PM   #1
markc123

Default Road trip 09

Thought I'd post here with my plans for a road trip and get some opinions and I'll update whiel on the road.

First some background:
I like to travel. I'm broke. I have 5 days of leave left to use b4 Xmas. I passed my Bike test 3 weeks ago and proceded to buy the first SV650 I looked at. Its a K2 Blue Curvy S type thing with (for now) 10k on the clock.

So, I have a bike, licence, week off and some money. Seems like its time for a road trip round the UK!

The plan:
Day 1 - Setting off after work this Friday, I'll aim for a friends in Perth on Friday night.
Day 2 - then north until I run out of Land - prob camping at John O' Groats.
Day 3 - West and round the top the next day, aiming for Ullapool probably. 160 miles of remoteness
Day 4 - Round onto Skye?, then aim for a nice hostel in Fort Augustus that I have Stayed in before.
Day 5 - Out of Scotland - as far as I feel comfortable in making it. Will end up camping in the Lakes most likely
Day 6 - down to Cirencester to see family
Day 7&8 - Cornwall and Lands End (see the idea?) Prob 2 night is newquay and therefore lower miles and rest
Day 9 - Over to Brighton to see Friends and crash on a couch
Day 10 - Back to Harrogate, could stop part way and finish the ride Mon AM - need to be in Leeds by 9am.

This is all dependent on how I feel, Weather etc. All up 2000+ miles in 10 days. Makes the most of the time I have. Other ideas where based on sticking to Scotalnd or the South of England, but I just fancy being able to say I have done the Lands end to John O' Groats thing.

I have panniers, a small tanks bag and lightweight camping gear. If it rains, theres always hostels etc.

What breakdown cover is good for the motorcyclist?
Any advice?
Am I mad?

Poor bike had done 9k in 7 years - by the time I do this it'll have done 3k in a month! (fresh oil in there anyways).
Old 07-10-09, 12:56 PM   #2
Bri w

Default Re: Road trip 09

The run to Perth, depending on what time you get away, should see you up there in less than 4 hours -long trek if this is your first one on a bike.

Currently - Fighting the urge... seen a nice Triumph America

Previously - Honda CB125, Honda CB400-4 & BSA B40, Moto Guzzi 850, Yamaha RD250, Suzuki GT380, Kawasaki Z1B, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VFR, Triumph Street Triple R.
Bri w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 12:57 PM   #3
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc123 View Post
I just fancy being able to say I have done the Lands end to John O' Groats thing.
It's good to have goals.

While you're at it, do the Dunnet Head and The Lizard things too, daft not too if you're that close.

As for breakdown cover, there's a few threads about that but you'll be OK with any of the big ones IMHO. Don't expect to see too many AA/RAC branded trucks in the north west of Scotland mind you, there's a whole lot more than the 160 miles of remoteness you're planning on.

And you're not mad, just ambitious and enthusiastic. The road surface and the weather will have beaten that out of you by the end of day 3.
Old 07-10-09, 12:58 PM   #4
appollo1
Mega Poster

Thought you were broke?

http://www.german-shepherd-rescue-scotland.org.uk/ everyone deserves a second chance

RIP Appollo miss you and will always love you x x x x
appollo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-09, 01:03 PM   #5
markc123

I was broke before I bought the bike. I'm trying to not get too much more broke and still have a holiday .

Done 3 hours on the bike before - that was on the 125 though so only got me 90 miles!
Old 07-10-09, 01:15 PM   #6
RichT

Sounds good - breakdown cover - um - take your pick, they're all much the same although I understand Green Flag has twice the number of mobile units as the AA.

Can't remember where I read that.....
Old 12-10-09, 02:57 PM   #7
Pandamonium

Safe trip markc123, was nice chatting to you in Durham services in the rain!! Hope you got somewhere nice & dry!!
Old 12-10-09, 03:04 PM   #8
phi-dan

Weather for the south-west looks good (well - okay, oh all right then - not actually raining) for your attempt on Lands End / Lizard - keep it up!
Old 30-11-09, 09:25 AM   #9
Mej
Mega Poster

Last edited by Mej; 02-07-15 at 05:20 PM.
Mej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-09, 11:28 AM   #10
markc123

Ooops - forgot about this!

It ended up in a 9 day trip right the way round the top of Scotland.

Friday 9th October:
Rode up from Harrogate to Perth to stay at a friends house. Got very wet, destriyed the rain covers on my panniers, met one of the guys off the forum in a services near newcastle, got across the border and out of the rain.
Then I missed the right bridge, nearly ran out of fuel on the way to Stirling and finally arrived in Pert at 2am....

Saturday 10th October:
Lazy morning, caught up with firends, had some lunch then crusied north up the A9 in a mix of sun and light showers. As the highlands approached the scenery impoved and I was feeling quite good about this trip.... It was also nice to be cruising on a fast, quiet road. Ended up in a campsite just outside Aviemore, nice place but a little too quiet.

Sunday 11th October:
Cruised on to Inverness where I stopped off to find a hostel. Found one in Drumnadrochit, so wandered over, checked in an then took the bike for a lap round Loch Ness without the panniers etc. The sun was out, the traffic was elsewhere - awesome. When I got back to the hostel, there were 5 random people who were doing the Great Glen Way - ended up going out for a meal with them....

Monday 12th October:
Set off early and headed on North. Again good, quiet roads, little bit of rain but nothing bad. I was up at John O Groats by the early afternoon and had a quick look round. On to Dunnet head for more photos and then ended up at a hostel in Thurso - which was quite good. The owner insisted that I brought the bike into the large garage so I didnt get rained on

Tuesday 13th October:
Thurso to Skye, via the Extreme North west and Ullapool. A day of low cloud, sea views, single track roads and isolation. I would reccomend this ride to anyone. Arrived at a hostel in Skye where I got a 4 bed dorm to myself, dried all my kit off and had a poke round.

Wednesday 14th October:
A lap of the Isle of Skye In the morning. Lovely place but the clouds were down. They did lift for about 10 mins to give me excellent views of the Black Cuillins. A sight you have to see for yourself.
From Skye it wa a bit of a mission back to Loch Ness and a hostel at Fort Augustus which I have used before. It gets a new bus full of backpackers every night and comes equipped with a bar . I planned to stay here a couple of nights so as to tour without panniers etc.

Thursday 15th October:
A loop from Fort Augustus taking in Oban, Fort William etc. Followed my much sleep.

Friday 16th October:
Such an awesome day, bright and clear. Decided to climb Ben Nevis - rewarded with awesome views, sore legs and a few beers in the evening. Decided to stay on in Fort Augustus another night.

Saturday 17th October:
Another random loop Up to Inverness, across to Ullapool and back down the west coast. Long day in the sun . Had a few more beers and the hostel let me lie in the next day which was welcome.

Sunday 18th October:
Fort Augustus to Harrogate. Long day, good up until Glasgow then just boring moterway miles. Got home, had a kebab, collpased into bed.

Afterwards:
Managed one day of work then succumbed to Swine Flu - a souveneir of Scotland!

I'll add some piccys later.

Mark