SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-09-12, 07:11 PM   #1
Tim in Belgium

Default Insuring re-engined cars - insurance?

So I'm thinking of dropping the 2.8 200+hp engine from my BMW E36 touring (mid nineties 3 series) into a BMW E30 touring (eighties-early nineties 3 series). The big thing on my mind is insurance, has anyone any experience of re-engined cars?
Old 14-09-12, 07:17 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Insuring re-engined cars - insurance?

Not directly. As in myself.

But my brother dropped the 1.3 litre lump out of the family Astra after it was passed onto him by my Dad and replaced with a lump from a Astra GTE, he also took the brakes off the GTE as well and created a sleeper.

I dont recall him having any problems with insuring it. But it was a long time ago.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-12, 08:17 PM   #3
Dabteacake

you will have to declare it as a mod on your insurance. some will take it as 1 mod if you do the brakes to match and suspension too.

I got charged £12.50 for the year extra after fitting bigger brakes

just ring a few companies and ask
Old 14-09-12, 09:06 PM   #4
svrich

When I put the v8 in my Landy I notified the DVLA via the V5 and told my insurance. They weren't bothered with it though. Probably because they realised that, even with a v8 in, a Landrover is never going to be a speedy motor
It may be worth calling your current insurance company and asking how they would manage the swap.
Old 15-09-12, 09:02 AM   #5
timwilky
Mega Poster

Years ago I had the privilege of getting an insurance claim for a highly customised morris 1000 van thrown out after my inspection. Yes he had declared it as a custom job. Very high standard of work if you are into that sort of thing big old merc grill blending through a hand made bonnet etc.

He had even told the truth in that it had a V6 Essex. But, the problem was he took it out before he had time to finish it properly, useless front drums, no servo assist, still on the torsion bar suspension. The steering, braking and suspension were simply not up to the weight and performance. no wonder he ran into the back of another car.
Old 15-09-12, 09:44 AM   #6
m1tch_1987

I would check on driftworks as engine swaps are common, I think its just classed as a 'non standard engine replacement' don't forget to also register it with the DVLA with the engine size and new engine number etc