SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 14-09-12, 09:41 AM   #41
Spank86

Default Re: 9/11 respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc123 View Post
Your perspective is that it's very rude. You don't seem to grasp that alternative perspectives exist outside of your own model of the world.
Thats not how rude works, its a societal construct.
Old 14-09-12, 09:55 AM   #42
Milky Bar Kid

I'm not saying his opinion is rude, not at all, but that is his opinion, which is different from others.

If people wish to express that opinion, fine, I understand but I find it very rude to call peoples tributes guff. That is the problem I have with the post - not the opinion.
Old 14-09-12, 10:02 AM   #43
arc123

Quote:
Thats not how rude works, its a societal construct.
bwahahaha - brilliant. that made me laugh.

Using that logic, you look like this:

arc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-12, 10:14 AM   #44
Spank86

Quote:
bwahahaha - brilliant. that made me laugh.

Using that logic, you look like this:

At least I've got more hair than I had earlier, shame it's on my chin though. I'm sure that was meant to be rude also but im not particularly offended, he could be a brain surgeon for all I know.

Allow me to elaborate, If you're alone in a room with nobody to hear you then nothing that doesnt cause you to somehow offend yourself can be rude, however as soon as you enter company then you go into a situation where what is considered rude is further outside your control, generally speaking the majority or as groups get larger large minorities would decide.

In fact it's far easier for something to be considered rude since it only takes a few individuals to be offended than it is for it to be considered not rude.

In this instance you and the other poster are in the society of this forum, quite a number (in context) of posters have pointed out that they are offended both by the choice of words and the place of expression. That makes it rude whether you like it or not. Now you can decide you're happy with that level of rudeness and that you don't mind offending those people (of which I'm not actually one) but you can't deny that it's not rude because YOU don't find it rude from your blinkered perspectve.

Ironically your comment about perspectives applies more to you than me since it's the perspective of the receivers that decides rudeness not that of the speakers and offended voices trump unoffended (obviously HOW rude can be mitigated by the number of offended being very small in proportion to the group).

@Milky bar kid: I wasnt suggesting an opinion could be rude, merely the expression of it at an inappropriate time or place.
Old 14-09-12, 10:36 AM   #45
arc123

Quote:
I'm sure that was meant to be rude also but im not particularly offended, he could be a brain surgeon for all I know.
Rudeness was not my intention, and your sureness of my intent to cause offence perhaps shows a little insecurity on your part.

Quote:
quite a number (in context) of posters have pointed out that they are offended both by the choice of words and the place of expression. That makes it rude whether you like it or not
Why something is rude and why people take offense are two different things. Neither requires the other. Your correlation between the two demonstrates very poor logic.
Old 14-09-12, 10:39 AM   #46
Owenski

This thread now has nothing to do with the topic and desperately needs locking.
Old 14-09-12, 12:08 PM   #47
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owenski View Post
This thread now has nothing to do with the topic and desperately needs locking.
I've split the conversation off into a new thread. Its getting heated and I am all for not stifling heated discussion or strong opinion.

But as said else where. If this degenerates into mod bashing or personal attacks I will lock the thread.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-12, 12:18 PM   #48
Spank86

Quote:
Rudeness was not my intention, and your sureness of my intent to cause offence perhaps shows a little insecurity on your part.
then I have no idea what you mean't, I sound like I ride a harley? Or perhaps you were attempting the creation of a straw man by suggesting that if one thing is a societal construct then something else (the image of motorbikers) is?

Quote:
Why something is rude and why people take offense are two different things. Neither requires the other. Your correlation between the two demonstrates very poor logic.
http://thesaurus.com/browse/offensive

Unsurprisingly people often take offense because they perceive something as rude. Which it is if thats the way its perceived.
Old 14-09-12, 12:25 PM   #49
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
No, I wasn't infering moderators should not discuss controversial subjects fizz.
With respect that is not how your post reads. Well not to me anyway. Especially the "Those in green" comments.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-12, 12:46 PM   #50
arc123

Default Re: 9/11 Discussion Thread - Split from 9/11 respect thread

Quote:
Or perhaps you were attempting the creation of a straw man by suggesting that if one thing is a societal construct then something else (the image of motorbikers) is?
No straw man.

Definition: a social mechanism, phenomenon, or category created and developed by society; a perception of an individual, group, or idea that is 'constructed' through cultural or social practice

Quote:
Unsurprisingly people often take offense because they perceive something as rude. Which it is if thats the way its perceived.
Quote:
Because whether you agree with his sentiments or not it's still very rude.
So you judged the original comments to be rude, thus it is rude?