SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-10-06, 11:33 AM   #11
keithd

i live about 5 miles from eastleigh/southampton airport have lived here for all of my 37 years, there's loads of lovely villages in the radius you've given, and as with all areas there's a ton of ****holes too (pardon the language)

give me a shout if you find somewhere you like the sound of and i'll try to give you the lowdown
Old 25-10-06, 11:38 AM   #12
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Thanks guys for all the offers of assistance - great to see so many of us are down that way.
Had a chat with the airport general manager this morning, going to do the paperwork this week and then wait and see if I pass the initial sift..
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-06, 11:49 AM   #13
Carsick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supervox
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattSV
If you decide to have a look around the New Forest, there are some rough areas in Hythe and Totton - Ashurst, Lyndhurst, Ower, Cadnam are all ok with pretty good accesibility to M27 - Lyndhurst can be a nightmare in the summer though due to all the grockles.
Nothing much worry about though if you're gonna use the bike to commute
Unfortunately, that's not true in Lyndhurst. At the bit that causes most problems, the road is a narrow two lane one way system, so an absolute ******* to filter through. Still substantially quicker by bike than by car but I choose to avoid the area completely in the summer and as for when the New Forest Show is on, that's a whole other headache.
Old 25-10-06, 12:30 PM   #14
Blue_SV650S

What’s your budget? Before making suggestions we need to know what sort of price range we are talking about.

I can tell you lots of nice places to live if you have >=£1m!!!
Old 25-10-06, 04:23 PM   #15
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_SV650S
What’s your budget? Before making suggestions we need to know what sort of price range we are talking about.

I can tell you lots of nice places to live if you have >=£1m!!!
Dunno, I was thinking £300 - £350K, but depends on the value of my current house, of which I only have a vague idea.
Doesn't have to be big, 2 bedrooms are plenty.
Old 25-10-06, 05:43 PM   #16
keithd

you'll get plenty with that budget. you can afford to be choosy and look for somewhere with exactly what you want. if your budget is 350k and are happy with 2 beds, lets say 3 you'll get a pretty good place in a rural area, away from the towns.

its just finding a place like that is hard

if the job comes off and if you like pm me your address and i'll send you a copy of the local property paper so you can have a gander
Old 25-10-06, 08:25 PM   #17
Blue_SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd
you'll get plenty with that budget. you can afford to be choosy and look for somewhere with exactly what you want. if your budget is 350k and are happy with 2 beds, lets say 3 you'll get a pretty good place in a rural area, away from the towns.

its just finding a place like that is hard

if the job comes off and if you like pm me your address and i'll send you a copy of the local property paper so you can have a gander
Yeah that sort of budget should see you somewhere nice. Lets face it you are unlikely to find a £300k+ house that is in a carp area, so I am not sure you need much advice on places to avoid. But there are plenty of nice places out and about that way. Basically if you stick East of the M3 and north of the M27 there are quite a few nice rural areas that with that sort of budget you should be able to find somewhere nice and yet convinient
Old 01-12-06, 01:59 AM   #18
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Just to resurrect this old thread:
I got offered the job at Southampton airport
Been to see the airport GM today, for the handshake, sandwich and paperwork in the post.
So, I'll be looking out for some of you in the new year - I expect to be working there sometime February.
Meanwhile, I'm going to have to find a house. Budget and location unknown just now, but when I know I might be asking for some of you 'locals' for comments on the houses/places I like the look of.
Old 01-12-06, 08:39 AM   #19
mattSV
Mega Poster

Congratulations on the job mate.

£300k should get you something half decent round these parts!
2013 - 2016 Triumph Explorer 1200
2016 - Ducati Multistrada DVT S
mattSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-06, 08:58 AM   #20
keithd

the closer to Portsmouth you go the more bang you get for your buck.

there's a reason for that too....