SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 19-12-06, 11:05 AM   #31
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithd

hedge end is a nice area. from the budget you have am i to assume you're not going to get a place on Grange Park? Altho there are some fairly decent sized gaffs on there. nice pub in amongst it too, the Shamblehurst.
That your recommendation? They all seem a bit tudorbethan round that area, all the same but different if you know what I mean.
However, there are plenty that are suitable, maybe I could run my rightmove.com list past you sometime?
The Romsey house was a good 30 or 40k less than equiv in Hedge End, (enough for a car or two ), but there may good reason for that..
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-06, 11:24 AM   #32
keithd

no i'd not recommend grange park, its an ok estate, i lived there for a year or so, but like you say its a bit "tudoresque and cheesey"

romsey is a really nice area, shouldn't take you more than 20 mins to get to work too.
Old 19-12-06, 01:01 PM   #33
Ceri JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
ahh, thats the sort of info i need. Do you mean in peak hours? Or are you referring to the M27, which sucks wherever you come and go from along that lower stretch?
The M27 is the worst, but the surrounding roads are almost as bad as all the locals use them to try to avoid the motorway when heading to/from southhampton itself. The airport is actually nearer Eastleigh than Southhampton. I was recently visting a client there by car, rather than bike and apologised as I was 10 minutes late due to traffic (in spite of leaving half an hour early for a 10 mile journey!). They were fine about it and say it's routine for non-locals to be an hour late on average and it's just something they live with.

It's obviously worse during rush hour, but it's attrocious at weekends too. I've only ridden/driven there a few times around there at times other than those (eg middle of the afternoon) and it's still worse than most places, but by no means intolerable in a car. My brother lives there and is considering re-learning to ride and getting a bike, largely because of the traffic problems. Bearing in mind he works unsociable hours and avoids the worst of it, yet still finds it a big problem should be indicative of the extend of it. That said, this is all largely irrelevant if you have a bike.

Hope this helps.
Old 19-12-06, 02:08 PM   #34
tigersaw
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC

Hope this helps.
It does thanks.
On my last visit to the airport I tried to go see a house at Fair Oak, at about 4pm. The journey was so bad I dismissed the house because of it.
The Airport employees I have spoken to reckon its 20 mins to just get onto the M27 from the airport in peak times, but once on the motorway its usually predictable wherever you are going.
I'll prolly be using the bike as much as possible, parking in the short term car park is free for bikes However, I still need to have an alternative strategy.

Thanks for your input.
tigersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-06, 02:20 PM   #35
keithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC

Hope this helps.
It does thanks.
On my last visit to the airport I tried to go see a house at Fair Oak, at about 4pm. The journey was so bad I dismissed the house because of it.
The Airport employees I have spoken to reckon its 20 mins to just get onto the M27 from the airport in peak times, but once on the motorway its usually predictable wherever you are going.
I'll prolly be using the bike as much as possible, parking in the short term car park is free for bikes However, I still need to have an alternative strategy.

Thanks for your input.
i live in fair oak, and you're absolutely right. the journey - at rush hour - is about 30 minutes for a 3 mile trip. awful.

nice place tho