SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 10-06-09, 02:05 PM   #1
jamesterror

Default Possible Scam?

Phone call to my mobile phone, claiming to be 3 saying I'm entitled to discounts and loyalties, then asked if I'm the owner of the contract, and I said yes they said what is your account name, I said to him you tell me, and then he asked me why, and I said because you are contacting me regards my service so you should know it.

Usually, it is somebody from the otherside of the world on the phone, but not a private number and usually say "Hello Mr James ...".

Possible scam or me reading in to it too much?
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 02:28 PM   #2
Kinvig

Default Re: Possible Scam?

deffo a scam - if he was 3, then why would he need your account details?

02 text you their special details. I would imagine 3 do too!
Old 10-06-09, 02:34 PM   #3
Miss Alpinestarhero

+ 1 on the scam.

If it was a geniuine (sorry cant spell today) 3 person, then they should have already had your account details up on the computer, so that they can add in whatever discount / loyalty you've agreed to.

You could always ring 3 using the number on the website / your contract and clarify with them whether you were actually entitled to a loyalty. But methinks it is a scam.

02 always send a text if you are entitled to something.
Old 10-06-09, 02:37 PM   #4
jamesterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig View Post
deffo a scam - if he was 3, then why would he need your account details?

02 text you their special details. I would imagine 3 do too!
Yeh thats what I thought, he seemed really insulted when I asked him why he wants my account name and questionned him for why he needs it when ringing me.

I don't get special offers via phone or text as I told the woman the fourth time she rang me to remove me from the advertising list as I opted out of it, the next day she rang me again and I threatened to break her legs, never had a phone call since , figure of speech im lovely really. it got annoying ringing me at ridiculous times repetitily till I spoke to them.
jamesterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-09, 02:48 PM   #5
PsychoCannon

yeah I had a "Orange" phone me back when I had an Orange PAYG phone saying I'm eligable for a discounted tariff .
Ahem what tariff it's PAYG!, nether the less they pushed for my details etc which surely they should know or how do they know if I'm elligable

It may not be a Scam Per Ce but a cold call center trying to sell you stuff and posing as your carrier (which is illegal!) to try and talk you into said sale.
Sometimes they say calling on behalf of "carrier" instead to try and mislead you without actually commiting fraud =p.

Having had friends in call centres I know they usally get pressured to do this by the centres to make targets and of course if it blows up the centre blames the staff members and sacks them =p, if they don't co-operate...they get sacked =p
It's a ****ty job!

Last edited by PsychoCannon; 10-06-09 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-06-09, 03:07 PM   #6
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

As Psycho says, its less a scam but more a way to try and sell you their tariffs on their network.

give em too much info tho and they'll sign you up without knowing it until you start getting their bills.

I had Abbey call me a couple of years ago saying it was their fraud dept and they need to go thru security questions with me before they could tell me why they are calling. So i told them i dont give security info to somone claiming to be from Abbey and did they have a number i could call them back on. yes they did but it was a number in Spain (seems that since Santander took over most of these services are carried out in Spain) so i had to call an international number, go thru security once only to tell em "this is my phone bill we're running up here, can you call me back". they did and we had to go thru security again

It was amusing to them but they were impressed by how seriously i took my security. Then they tell me somones stolen money out my account! But they also said "you obviously dont take your account security lightly, so we are ruling you out of the investigation right away"
pays to be carefull
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote