SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-10-09, 09:28 AM   #1
sputnik8

Smile Miles to kms SV

Is it possible to change miles to kms on the SV - without changing odometer - if yes will the total distance travelled be retained. Reason - thinking of buying / taking SV into S France to join my DR650. Also how complicated is it to change lights to suit continental dipping ( to the right instead of left). With my car it was expensive - had to change both light units - over 500 Euros. No panic on this one, still dreaming and window shopping this site for a 2003 / 2006 SV at reasonable £.
Old 21-10-09, 10:06 AM   #2
wow

Default Re: Miles to kms SV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik8 View Post
Is it possible to change miles to kms on the SV - without changing odometer - if yes will the total distance travelled be retained. Reason - thinking of buying / taking SV into S France to join my DR650. Also how complicated is it to change lights to suit continental dipping ( to the right instead of left). With my car it was expensive - had to change both light units - over 500 Euros. No panic on this one, still dreaming and window shopping this site for a 2003 / 2006 SV at reasonable £.
Yes it is just a press of a button on my 08 SV. I suppose you need to find out from what models onwards that is part of an SV.

I have never bothered with changing headlights when going abroad.

You need to carry spare bulbs tho if going to france, but with the led rear lights i have not bothered with them either.

We have also never bothered with the car, you just stick tape on to block off the direction, in the old days you could even get a kit with instructions in halfords etc don't know whether you still can. Dorve around in england with 'european' car for a few years in the beginning just always drove with the sticky tape on never had a problem.
Old 21-10-09, 10:17 AM   #3
sputnik8

thanks for the inf WOW - I live permanently here in the Aude and bikes in the UK are so much cheaper than France. That is why temporary sticking of tape is not an option. To get the car through the French MOT you have to have the correct spec lights. There is no MOT here for motorbikes but it is important to have the correct dipping lights for long term local use.Sorry did not make myself too clear. Does changing to kms preserve the total distance travelled - I guess it must.
Old 21-10-09, 10:24 AM   #4
Alpinestarhero

I would assume changing to KM's will preserve the total distance travelled, but write it down justy in case.

As for differant headlights, you probably will have to get euro-spec ones. You can sell the SV ones on ebay or on here - someone will need them at some point
Old 21-10-09, 10:35 AM   #5
wow

Yes it keeps everything as normal, total distance travelled and trip meter as well.

Ah I see yes you would want to change things for an mot. We never did tho till the car gave up drove with dutch plates, then bought an 'english' car. I moved to the UK in 1993 from the netherlands. Not bad not bad living in france, altho I've tried it and not sure i want to try again it does sound good and there are many things i like in france. I lived in grenoble in the alps for a while. Finding work seemed impossible. Was ok for my then partner he worked for a uk uni doing research in france. Where is Aude (again?).

Edit: the manual is in both metric and imperial. It shows both the number of kms/miles when you have to have the next service etc.

Last edited by wow; 21-10-09 at 10:55 AM.
Old 21-10-09, 11:01 AM   #6
Holdup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik8 View Post
Does changing to kms preserve the total distance travelled - I guess it must.
Yes, i cant remember which button it is now, but ive done it quite a few times on my K3 when trying to change the time

Last edited by Holdup; 21-10-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 21-10-09, 11:02 AM   #7
sputnik8

The dept Aude is in the extreme south - just 20 kms from the Med close to Narbonne - good for biking off road - the developement area for the Dakar is 20 mins ride away. The big manufacturers Subaru, Honda etc have permanent garages up in the garrige here where they develop their machines (cars, trucks, bikes). Great biking country for both quiet on road and also off road. Thanks again for inf.
Old 21-10-09, 11:14 AM   #8
ravingdavis

When I imported my SV from Germany I had to change from continental headlights back to UK, its just a matter of dropping off the front fairing and swapping over the headlight box, not hard (I did it, must be easy). You need a philips head and some alle nkeys. As for the miles - kilometres thing, again simple as a press of a button, everything is preserved and just changed over.

As for your UK spec lights, im looking at buying some since i just trashed mine!
Old 21-10-09, 11:05 PM   #9
Skip
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingdavis View Post
When I imported my SV from Germany I had to change from continental headlights back to UK, its just a matter of dropping off the front fairing and swapping over the headlight box, not hard (I did it, must be easy). You need a philips head and some alle nkeys. As for the miles - kilometres thing, again simple as a press of a button, everything is preserved and just changed over.

As for your UK spec lights, im looking at buying some since i just trashed mine!
Eh? My Austrian import SV1000S has kms on the speedo but the usual button trick to switch to mph doesnt work
Old 21-10-09, 11:08 PM   #10
Richie
fantabulas
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Eh? My Austrian import SV1000S has kms on the speedo but the usual button trick to switch to mph doesnt work
thats because it's an import and they don't use mph over there...
euro SV don't do it, it's only uk, usa and Oz ones I believe.