SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-10-04, 12:46 PM   #1
SVGeorge

Default Fitting steering head bearings?

Hello All,
I think the bearings in my head need changing. Not due to wheelies(Can't do them) but Ramp City(Dublin). We have ramps(Sleeping Policemen I think you call them in UK!) all over the place.

Anyway, my queries are:

Is it best to replace with Ball(Standard I think) or Tapered bearings?

Anywhere recommended that sells after market bearings for the SV650('99)?

Anyone know if there is a "How to".. around on changing these bearings.

Thanks,
George
Old 20-10-04, 01:23 PM   #2
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I prefer ball bearings, I found tapered ones a bit tricky to get seated properly, and was never that convinced by the adjustment. Perhaps I just did a crap job. As for fitting, you need to remove the forks then the steering head comes out fairly easily, but I'd say if you don't know where to start then you really want a manual, or pay someone for it - getting the forks back in the right place can be something of a fiddle and you don't really want to get it wrong. If you do it yourself, slap plenty of grease on the balls till it squirts out everywhere, it keeps the water out so they last longer - Suzuki must have the most expensive grease in the world cos they don't seem to like using much of it on anything...
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-04, 04:43 PM   #3
SVGeorge

Thanks JR,
I'll have to do it myself to help justify the UltiPro stand I just bought!
I have Haynes & Suzuki manuals so ok there, & I did bearings years ago on one of my RD350(just can't remember exactly how..)!

Any recommendation where to buy? Somewhere that will mail order to Dublin..

George
Old 22-10-04, 11:25 AM   #4
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

No worries, good luck. No idea about the supplier though, I take it OE bits are too much? If you have the luxury of being able to strip it and put it back together later you could see how many of the races are actually scrap, you may need only one or two plus new balls.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 04:05 PM   #5
SVGeorge

Default Re: Steering Head Bearings

Johnnyrod - you well helping me back in 2004 & still helping me in 2010!

I have had the new bearings since then and am only fitting them now as part of doing up my front end - you see the post on fitting emulators.

Anyway, thought I would keep head bearing query on this one as it might become record for job on the longest ever finger!

Any tips on fitting the bearing race onto the lower end of the steering stem. I planned to freeze the stem and warm up the race to help but gather I need to source some tubing that will go over the stem and sit on the top edge of the race(not on the bearing face) and use the tubing as a drift to get the race on. Anyone know of specific tubing that will work or is the any other way to do it?

George
Old 01-09-10, 05:40 PM   #6
davepreston

Default Re: Fitting steering head bearings?

maybe it how youve worded the above but
to put bearing into the headstock, you heat the stock to expand it, therefore making it easyer to put in bearings
use the old bearing as a buffer then hit new bearing in with rubber mallet after a good greasing
as for where to get bearings iirc dublin has a bearing manifacturer just ouside the city (google fu) which if you get the size (pm yc) will be a shed load cheaper than buying from ebay or similar
Old 01-09-10, 11:59 PM   #7
barwel1992

^ or put bearing race in freezer cover head stock in 3in1 oil and bash the race in with a rubber mallet untill its flush then use the old race to push it all the way in (i ground down the old race so it didn't get stuck in)
Old 02-09-10, 08:15 AM   #8
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

I don't mind, tapered or roller.

Careful with what you buy. If you fit the seal meant for a ball bearing (sometimes supplied with) and a taper roller, it will foul it.
Old 02-09-10, 12:35 PM   #9
SVGeorge

Hello all,
I have the new bearings (replacing original with same type - roller).
So I am replacing both uppper & lower (including all the races).
My problem is not the races for the upper & lower headstock, it is the race that goes onto the stem of the lower triple clamp.

1st you fit a dust seal and then the race slides freely down the stem until about 1 inch from the bottom and then you have to drift the race onto the lower part of the stem. It is for this you need some sort of metal tube that is slightly wider than the stem, but narrow enough to sit on the rim of the race. The tube also needs to be longer than the stem so you can belt it from above and drift the race onto the stem.
I am guessing to make it easier, freeze the lower triple clamp + stem to make it contract a bit and warm up the race to make it expand a bit - No?

And then I wanted to know if anyone knows a specific type of tubing that worked out at the right size or if anyone knew a different way to get the bearing on?

George
Old 02-09-10, 12:40 PM   #10
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yup that's pretty much it, you don't need lots of heat. A good helping of grease doesn't hurt as well as making sure there are no burrs left from removing the old one.

not sure what tube I use, just some kicking around. You can also use a drift if you can get to the top of the race if you are careful.