SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-11-05, 10:46 AM   #1
Stormspiel

Default Oxford Hot grips Switch

Bought some hot grips from NEC and fitted them saturday, One wire in the connector was snapped when i took them out of the box but as my dad's a trician he just block connected it together. They have worked fine till yesterday night. I turned them off wehen i got off bike, then when i came to go out 1 hour later they wouldn't come on.

My questions are these:

Have i invalidated my warranty by connector blocking the wire instead of getting a replacement set ???

Is the button electronic as it seems to be it just won't "click"

I'm gonna have to take seat off at dinner and see if it's blown the fuse

All help / knowledge appreciated
Old 11-11-05, 08:42 AM   #2
Stormspiel

S'alright I fixed them, Thanks for all the Help Guys
Old 11-11-05, 11:04 AM   #3
Jase22

Happy to be of service!!!
Old 11-11-05, 11:29 AM   #4
MavUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspiel
S'alright I fixed them, Thanks for all the Help Guys
So what was the problem?
Old 11-11-05, 12:07 PM   #5
Stormspiel

The Button had got stuck in the off 'click' and wouldn't return to the top, bit of WD40 and jiggling the switch (V. technical term ) freed it up. Nice warm hands again Don't know how i lived without them
Old 11-11-05, 12:35 PM   #6

i was dissapointed the when i fitted a set to sum one elses bike to see the quality of the wiring around the fuse holder,

i tested them before i fitted them and it all worked, i then pulled it through the bike connected it up and didnt work.. i tested it as best i could with a light bulb and a dogey bit of wiring to find the fuse holder had died

any ways a new holder fixed that but i couldnt belive i had to invalidate the warrenty to get them working....!

to add insult to injury the LH grip too ages to get on... bcause the plastic insert stops 10mm into the grip... whci means as u push it on the clip on it becomes to soft to push on...

basically i was proper ****ed that it took 3 hours to do a 1 hour job,

didnt it Jenni?
Old 11-11-05, 12:55 PM   #7
Stormspiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
to add insult to injury the LH grip too ages to get on... bcause the plastic insert stops 10mm into the grip... whci means as u push it on the clip on it becomes to soft to push on...

basically i was proper p*ssed that it took 3 hours to do a 1 hour job,
Same here, took all of 1 minute to get right on ( which i thought was gonna be hardest) then about 15 mins of twisting and pushing to get the left on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819
didnt it Jenni?
Stop Picking on girls
Old 11-11-05, 01:14 PM   #8
haggis

You should have got the velcro on type instead. They're really good, not.

When fitted the first time the bike wouldn't start. Thought I'd blown the fuse, checked but no. OK, what about the battery connection, No it's ok.

Turned out to be the clutch switch. The grip is so bulky you can't get full travel of the lever anymore. So as well as causing possible clutch drag, I had to bridge the switch under the lever.

Since the rebuild, I've taken it off completely now. Might put it back on if I do more cold weather trips in the spring.
Old 11-11-05, 01:57 PM   #9
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis
You should have got the velcro on type instead. They're really good, not.

When fitted the first time the bike wouldn't start. Thought I'd blown the fuse, checked but no. OK, what about the battery connection, No it's ok.

Turned out to be the clutch switch. The grip is so bulky you can't get full travel of the lever anymore. So as well as causing possible clutch drag, I had to bridge the switch under the lever.

Since the rebuild, I've taken it off completely now. Might put it back on if I do more cold weather trips in the spring.
I have them, not by choice, when i bought the bike the guy gave em to me.
Used them once and thought wow these get good and hot. Next time i used them i stalled it pulling off from lights on the dual carriageway
Had to push the bike across the lanes to get someplace safe, whip off the left side one so i could clutch and start the bike and then put it back on and off i go.
if i use them again then i know i'm gonna have to do what you have done with the clutch switch
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 02:02 PM   #10
mysteryjimbo

Spanner man and me got mine fitted in about an hour.

It's all technique

Wonderful bit of kit. I dont know how i've lived without them for 3 winters !