SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 10-07-08, 12:25 PM   #1
sv_rider1990

Default What do i need to convert the 1999 (no preload adjusters) to having preload adjusters and progressive springs.

Right i am wanting to have the luxury of preload adjusters and progressive springs to my 99 Sv650s.

What are the basics i need to achieve this?? a sort of shopping list would be great.

Thanks

Ash
Old 10-07-08, 12:45 PM   #2
Grinch

Default Re: What do i need to convert the 1999 (no preload adjusters) to having preload adjusters and progressive springs.

The adjusters and some spacer rings... that's it. Oh and some tools and a little time,
Old 10-07-08, 12:49 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: What do i need to convert the 1999 (no preload adjusters) to having preload adjusters and progressive springs.

Car jack/ rafter and strap
Sockets: 10 12 14 17 22 + 6mm allen socket (allen keys are the devil)

Fork oil of choice, 2 liters of parrafin, suitable containers, measuring stick, clothes peg.

HTH

P.s a cracking bar and a hammer.
Old 10-07-08, 12:56 PM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

You can get the pre-load adjusters from a Suzuki dealer and you will also need the solid washer for the adjusters to act on. The adjuster as a single unit is not on the parts fiche, just it's component parts - making up a complete adjuster with the components is bally expensive! You need

The adjustable fork cap part no 51351-10D80 and washer part no 51192-06C00. Local dealer charged me £21.75 for the fork cap (51351-10D80) and £2.46 for the washer (51192-06C00). Of course you need two of each!

New fork springs also (obviously!)
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 03:33 PM   #5
Jester666

As above but I really wouldn't bother with the preload caps.

I've got 'em (K2) and the difference between fully in and fully out is negligable.

FYI I also have progressive springs an 15w oil.
Old 10-07-08, 04:23 PM   #6
Dangerous Dave

Do you ride with a pillion often? If not then its not worth all the money to get the preload adjusters, you can do the same job with some added washers or shims.
Old 10-07-08, 07:20 PM   #7
Ey Uup

Right, this may be dumb question of the day, but what do people use as spacers / where can you buy them from?

Cheers

Ey
Old 10-07-08, 08:54 PM   #8
Grinch

You can get the spacers when you buy the caps, as luckypants said - £2.46 for the washer (51192-06C00)

I think you can also get the set from JHS racing, its where I got mine may years ago.
Old 11-07-08, 08:20 AM   #9
sv_rider1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Do you ride with a pillion often? If not then its not worth all the money to get the preload adjusters, you can do the same job with some added washers or shims.

I do ride with a pillion most weekends during the summer other than that its just me lol! So is it really not worth going to the effort of putting the adjusters on i just fancied the idea of being able to adjust them to suit my riding but if jester and others dont think its worth it as its minimal shall i just leave it with progressive springs??

Thanks for the replys also

Ash
Old 11-07-08, 09:08 AM   #10
Grinch

You'd be better putting the money towards some nice springs and 15 w oil.