SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-11-09, 10:13 AM   #1
G
Mega Poster

Default One for the solicitors... Possibly ED?

I had a letter from my solicitor this week stating that they owed me some money, because of some new rules they were legally obliged to provide this money to me... although you would think they had a legal obligation anyway

Anyway, I contacted them to confirm my address etc and the solicitor stated that it was a very insignificant amount and he would get a cheque out ASAP, then he asked me to cash it ASAP also to confirm I had accepted it.

Now me being suspicious, I cant help thinking this is all to easy for them. I have received the money this morning and it now turns out the money IS NOT an insignificant amount and is actually quite a lot from some property dealings I had FOUR YEARS AGO.

I fear that if I cash this cheque, that I technically accept everything and the issue is over. However, they have had a significant amount of money for 4 years (which I am sure they would have just kept had it not been for these new rules) and this money would have incurred a significant interest etc over the years for which they have no doubt not paid me.

So, does anyone legally minded know what these new rules consist of, and what they are supposed to do.

I just feel like I am perhaps being hoodwinked here?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-09, 02:10 PM   #2
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Default Re: One for the solicitors... Possibly ED?

Sounds to me as though you might be too. Personally i wouldn't bank the cheque till you get an answer to this question.

it may be something as simple as they have given you then money they owe you.....but not paid the interest due to you over the 4yrs and y accepting just the sum and not asking for the interest you loose out.

I'm sure Super Ed will be able to clarify this one for you.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-09, 02:21 PM   #3
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

how come they had so much of your money that you didn't know about?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-09, 03:18 PM   #4
Ed

This has happened because of a recent change in the Solicitors Accounts Rules. Whistle-stop tour:

The starting point is that client money must be held in a separate client account. The client account must be reconciled to the client ledger at least once every 35 days - in other words, add up all the money you think you've got, and compare it to the bank statement. If there's a difference it needs to be made good. It's a hanging offence to have an overdrawn client ledger, and any short discovered in the reconciliation must be made good immediately on discovery, and equally it's a hanging offence to have client money in office account - ie if the office account goes into + then you need to transfer it immediately.

You can't close a file unless it has nil balance on client and office accounts.

Finally, client account has to be audited every year to confirm compliance with the rules. Few firms get an unqualified report - the rules are so strict that it's next to impossible to comply fully.

What changed was a requirement that solciitors are not allowed to hold onto client money for more than a reasonable period after completion of a matter. Formerly, holding ontpo balances probably would have led to a qualified audit, but now it's a breach of the ruiles. SO, they have to return money. It's actually a PIA to trawl through client account looking for balances, and an even bigger PIA to have to work out why it has happened and whose money it is, but it has to be done. They found that they had your £££ on client account and it's a breach of the rules to sit on it, so back it goes, although good practice should have made them return it sooner.

As re an interest claim, that's a slightly different matter. They only have to account for interest if the total woudl exceed £20. And they only have to account for the interest that they actually received. The accounts rules say that client accounts must be on demand accounts, so usually the interest rate is pitiful.

You will not lose anything by banking the cheque. Unlike with other people, it will not be in full and final settlement of your claim, because solicitors can't behave like that - after all, it's your money, and they have been sitting on it for years. I suggest you write to the solicitors to tell them that you have banked the cheque and please will they send you an interest analysis with a cheque for the interest too. They have to work it out, they will be irritated but that's too bad. As stated, if it's less than £25 they don't have to pay, as the rules say that that's the minimum.

And if you were wondering why the auditors haven't challenged them on interest, it's because interest payments do not form part of a client account audit.

I go through my client account monthly to make sure I don't have od balances knocking around, and return anything. It's really tedious, especially when it's a small amount such as 50p or so. But it's client money, not mine, and I have to account to the penny, and return it.
Old 21-11-09, 09:00 PM   #5
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Ed - Really informative post and I await my 50p cheque!

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-09, 09:26 PM   #6
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil24_7 View Post
Ed - Really informative post and I await my 50p cheque!
I'll put it towards the Bahamas fund
Old 21-11-09, 09:28 PM   #7
phil24_7
Mega Poster

LOL!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
Old 21-11-09, 09:31 PM   #8
Ed

I'll be there soon, Phil. Before 4 December
Old 21-11-09, 09:38 PM   #9
phil24_7
Mega Poster

I suggest you don't go to the Bahamas then, Else I'll know exactly where to look! lol

Old 21-11-09, 09:43 PM   #10
Ed

Maybe not such a good idea after all!