SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-08-20, 07:45 PM   #51
gadget

Default Re: Gen1 battery woes again!

I'm going down the 'voltage gauge' route too, have you seen the 12v volt gauges that have an 'on-off' switch on ebay? About £6.00 . So you can have the gauge wired direct to the battery and choose either on or off while you ride.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-20, 08:15 PM   #52
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gen1 battery woes again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I'm going down the 'voltage gauge' route too, have you seen the 12v volt gauges that have an 'on-off' switch on ebay? About £6.00 . So you can have the gauge wired direct to the battery and choose either on or off while you ride.
Would want it on all the time when engine running as it is there to let you know if a problem happens in time to take some action, I would turn it off while parked to stop it drawing power ( although only milliamps ) will compromise and connect it direct to ignition switch controlled supply or maybe use a relay controlled by an switch controlled supply at least to take all those voltage dropping connections out of circuit.

Just had a thought - I have a direct to battery charging lead with SAE plug on it, may use another spare SAE lead to connect voltmeter into same plug - as I will never want voltmeter and charger plugged in at the same time, the charging lead is fused as well right next to battery + so it would be a win-win....

update - after connecting the voltmeter direct to battery by re-purposing an old SAE plug and cable it reads maximum 0.1volts low now, so all the inaccuracy I was seeing was the volts drops in bikes cable loom and plugs -( every day is a school day ) - loom was dropping up to 0.3 volts with LED headlight and sidelight ( The LED headlight draws 1.5 amps, a normal 55/60watt filament draws about 5 amps and LED sidelight draws a few milli-amps compared to 0.5 amp for a filament one ). When I turned on LED spots drawing about 0.7 amps each the volt drop hit 0.6volts. Downside is I have to plug voltmeter in if I want to use it ( I unplug when parked for battery drain ).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 26-08-20 at 12:37 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote