SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-02-06, 05:40 PM   #1
Demonz

Default Crack on Casing around the Exhaust Joint

Has anyone developed a crack around the casing just where the exhaust connects onto it at the top. I was cleaning my downpipe at the front and noticed a large crack on the casing. I'll put a pic up later as my discription may not be so good - but wanted to know if others have it - is likely to get bigger and or if it should be something I should be worried about or not?? Its the first time ive cleaned the pipe so it could have been there for ages...
Old 09-02-06, 05:55 PM   #2
haggis

Yep, exactly the same. Started out like the photo, i noticed it about 4 years ago. Then over a year the crack spread left and back out, eventually a chunk fell off.

Result of this? Easier to remove the front pipe! No leaks either.

Old 09-02-06, 06:14 PM   #3
Demonz

Mine looks just like that now - and I was trying to work out how to put up a pic... Thanks for the reassurance I wont bother now.
Old 09-02-06, 06:26 PM   #4
haggis

No problem. I panicked when I spotted it too, hence the photo to compare later.

Just keep an eye on it over the next while, if it hasn't made a bee-line for the cylinder block then you can breathe easy.

I don't know how mine started either, possibly over tightened header bolts.
Old 09-02-06, 06:26 PM   #5
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The exhaust header stub and the inner face of the exhaust port are corroding. When this happens the material expands a bit, with the results you're seeing. Remove the pipe and clean it up now and again if you want to stop it happening.

And, despite the fact that no leaks have occurred thus far, I suggest you do want to stop it happening.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 07:40 PM   #6
embee
Mega Poster

It may not be relevant in this case, depends on the detail around the blend between the stub and head, but a useful tip if you do get a crack starting is to drill a hole at the furthest point the crack has reached.

In theory the bigger hole the better, but something in the realms of 4mm dia is usually suitable.

This reduces the stress concentration at the end of the crack and stops (hopefully) it propagating further.

It's important you get it at the very end of the crack, i.e. so that the crack doesn't extend beyond the hole, otherwise it's a waste of effort. This usually means drilling slightly beyond the visible end of the crack.

This of course is on no use if you're drilling into an oil gallery or water jacket!
embee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 08:52 PM   #7
Cloggsy

Couldn't you just get someone to cast-weld it
Old 09-02-06, 10:11 PM   #8
northwind
Mega Poster

if it actually bothers anyone, I have a plentiful supply of barrels in the garage But tbh, it'd be a huge pain to replace.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 11:20 PM   #9
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggsy
cast-weld
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-06, 12:37 AM   #10
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Squid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloggsy
cast-weld
Welding with cast iron rods using a mig welder - I had my car exhaust manifold repaired in the same way