SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-03-07, 05:56 PM   #1
Born again

Default Commuting

My commute to work could be going from seven miles/day to about eighty miles/day for reasons I wont bore you with.
Plus point-more riding time,
Minus point-more miles on the clock,
How far do peeps commute on your SVs and do you find it has a negative effect on the health of your bike.
Old 17-03-07, 06:03 PM   #2
Toypop

Default Re: Commuting

I could have ridden the SVS that distance but for 80 miles I'd get something with a bigger motor, a fairing with more coverage and a more upright riding position.

It is not that you can't do it on the SV but it would be more comfortable and pleasant on something else.
Old 17-03-07, 06:04 PM   #3
John 675

Post Re: Commuting

I commute about 10 miles there and back and my bike loves it, i get to ride it every day, and to be honest if the mrs isnt on the back its the best part of my day too lol,
Old 17-03-07, 06:16 PM   #4
Born again

Just to clarify it will be forty miles each way, eighty miles a day.............
Old 17-03-07, 06:28 PM   #5
diamond

I commute about 120 miles a day (60 miles each way). It's easy on my svs, much better and more upright than on my duke. The only draw back is the amount of fuel. I fill up everyday on the way home, cos none of the petrol stations are open when i leave in the morning.
Just make sure you keep a good eye on your chain, a scottoiler is a must it certainly helps to increase the amount of time in between adjustment.
Old 17-03-07, 06:42 PM   #6
Tiger 55

I was an 80 a day man but I've cut down to 15. The bike will handle the miles no problem, it'll just take a bigger chunk of your Sunday morning to keep it clean.

I'd say it depends on what the roads are. If it's 40 miles of motorway then you might be happier on another bike, but where would that leave your weekend/summer evening blasts? Hmm.
Old 17-03-07, 08:11 PM   #7
BLK SV

I've only recently started a 40 mile a day commute and after 3 months i'm still lovin it! Just be sure to keep your chain lubed up as mentioned above and keep ontop of the cleanin so you can keep an eye on anything that needs attention. I don't think 80 miles will be too uncomfortable, will give the bike a chance to warm up nicely each way.

What kind of roads will you be riding on??
Old 17-03-07, 09:26 PM   #8
wyntrblue

before i passed my test a few years back i was commuting to n from work in all weathers on my trusty yam rs125dx was doing 100miles each way at a max of 50mph....

now i do the same journey on the sv and as long as you pay attention to the maintence i cant think of a reason why it would be a bother...

i got my sv with 2700miles on the clock (that was in december) its now got 12k on it... no probs so far....
Old 17-03-07, 09:30 PM   #9
Mr Toad

Until my leg got too bad I was doing 100 miles a day, and enjoying it

It's not so much fun in winter however. No matter how much top quality gear and heated grips, etc, it still gets pretty miserable when it's cold, dark and wet for what seems like weeks on end
Old 17-03-07, 09:31 PM   #10
Paws

i do a 12 mile (each way) commute every day down a dual carrigeway and my lil sv loves it, esp sunday and sat morns as its quiet so i get to open her up and stretch her legs abit!
Been doing that since Dec last year and sv seems to cope well so far.