SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-03-05, 12:59 PM   #1
Nekkid

Default Scottoiler Injector positioning....

My dealer fitted a scottoiler and put the injector (dripper) just behind the front sprocket. I questioned it when I picked the bike up, and he asked the mechanic who said that was a much better way of doing it than on the rear sprocket. I've had it on for about 3 months now, and it's been a pain in the ****. Because the injector is attached to the frame, it's position is not fixed in relation to the chain, so half the time the oil drips on the road.
I think I'm going to have to extend it to the rear.
I'm really annoyed the mechanic could **** up something so simple and still think he was doing it better than the manufacturer's recommendation. What a gimp.

So, does anyone know of any potential problems with extendiong the tube? Will I be able to get the injector and the white sleeving off the existing tube, or will I have to get a whole new piece of pipe?
Cheers for your advice.

Grumpy-As-Hell
Old 21-03-05, 01:13 PM   #2
PoRk ChOp

Nekkid - I would have thought it much better the scottoiler being on the front sprocket??? Have you tried to reposition it? Mine is on the rear and the plastic nib that drops the oil is attached to a teardrop shaped metal plate that I can bend to where I want the oil delivered too on the rear sprocket.
Old 21-03-05, 01:25 PM   #3
Nekkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoRk ChOp
Nekkid - I would have thought it much better the scottoiler being on the front sprocket??? Have you tried to reposition it? Mine is on the rear and the plastic nib that drops the oil is attached to a teardrop shaped metal plate that I can bend to where I want the oil delivered too on the rear sprocket.
The tube is zip'tied to the frame, and the nib hangs above the chain pointing backwards (if that makes sense!) I think if the nib is actually touching the sprocket, it needs to be at about the 7 o'clock position, so I don't think it would be possible to get it in that position on the front sprocket. The problem is that when the rear suspension compresses, the chain moves in relation to the nib, to it gets knocked out of line.
The setup you've got sounds good!
Old 21-03-05, 01:42 PM   #4
BillyC
Mega Poster

I can see the front sprocket positioning being a real mess! On the rear, you can angle the nozzle to flow oil onto the rear sprocket. The rotational forces fling the oil directly into the chain.

Depending on where it's positioned for the front sprocket delivery, I imagine that the oil would either get flung off the chain, or just not get to the chain at all.

Call Scottoiler... explain what the dealer did. They might want to know their name. They'll probably send you all the bits you need free of charge as well!
Old 21-03-05, 02:29 PM   #5
tee jey

I cut and drilled the tear drop shaped bracket so I could mount it on the inside of the bobbin bracket. By using a longer bobbin set screw I was able to add an additional nut as a spacer and then mount the Scott Oiler bracket on the inside of the bobbin bracket and hold it in place with a nylock nut and washer. A small amount of fettling of the surplace weld around the inside face of the bobbin bracket was required so that the spacer nut would tighten flush against the bobbin bracket.
The end result is a very tidy installation with no tubes or zip ties insight. Have not got any pics at the moment but pm me if you want more info.
Old 21-03-05, 05:42 PM   #6
Valman

My dealer did this too but to be honest I've had no problems yet. I've done 1100 miles since December and I have yet to clean or adjust the chain, and it didn't need adjusting when it got serviced either so I haven't bothered moving it yet. My chain is very clean even though I don't get time to wash my bike often, in fact I've only washed it twice properly since getting it but I do use FS365 regularly and hose the bike down if it's been in the rain.
Old 21-03-05, 06:26 PM   #7
BillyC
Mega Poster

I don't think my stock chain *needed* adjusting until about 12k, but once it started to be adjusted, it just continued to go. Wear breeds wear.
Old 21-03-05, 09:36 PM   #8
mac608

Don't Scott specifically say not to put it on the front socket?
mac608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-05, 10:48 PM   #9
Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC
I don't think my stock chain *needed* adjusting until about 12k, but once it started to be adjusted, it just continued to go. Wear breeds wear.
mine 2
Old 22-03-05, 12:00 AM   #10
Smiffy

Sounds like laziness to me.

I assiduously cleaned the underside of the swingarm and glued and zip tied mine to feed the rear sprocket. Cut the zip ties off later and the glue has held perfectly since. Almost invisible installation. Just carry a couple of zip ties under the seat in case of trauma.