SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

The Good The Bad and The Ugly Pub and Cafe guide Know any good biking meeting places. List them here and give them a rating

Old 18-03-10, 10:52 PM   #1
sam anon

Default Foxes/H's Diner-shut?

Not sure why I used a question mark, I heard from a good source it had done.

A shame, as it was a good meeting point with good routes to get there. The food was always pretty lousy though.

I guess MPS will suffer from it closing. Maybe they could add a burger van?
Old 19-03-10, 01:02 PM   #2
philbut

Default Re: Foxes/H's Diner-shut?

WTF? really. I'm surprised, especially now as the summer is coming up - I'd have thought they'd struggle through winter and then things would pick up in the spring. Bad news
Old 21-03-10, 10:43 PM   #3
sv650nutter149

yes unfortunatly this is true as the guys who took it over also run the pub round the corner from it and due to being under the same business name went into admin and had to close, shame really but ive heard there are plans to open it again but dunno when.
Old 23-03-10, 12:11 PM   #4
Warthog

Oh, went past it on Sunday and there were a few bikes outside but didn't see if it was open or closed. That's a bummer.
Old 25-03-10, 10:05 AM   #5
johnnyfartpants

Details are here if anyone wants to read it.
Old 25-03-10, 06:14 PM   #6
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

IMO the credit crunch had nothing to do with why people didn't eat there, and more to do with the dreadfully slow service and pants food.

It went downhill when the previous owner died.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-10, 06:35 PM   #7
Lozzo

I agree totally Lissa. I was frequently out on the road in that area in my previous job and a couple of times popped in for a simple bacon sarnie and a cup of tea at lunchtime. At a roadside van that would cost me about 2 quid and be there in front of me in 3 or 4 minutes. When Fox's changed ownership and name the prices went up to over double what a burger van would charge, it would take up to half an hour for a simple bacon sarnie even when the cafe was almost empty, and they'd stick a piddling amount of salad on the plate. I didn't ask for a bacon sarnie with a side salad, I asked for a plain honest and simple bacon sarnie, but the staff explained that they always put the salad (for what it was worth) on and charged for it. I found that the staff became indifferent once the name changed and the service was slow and abysmal. I stopped going there after the second visit.

It was never somewhere I'd aim for once it became H Diner, and I have no intention of heading that way to look in MPS because absolutely everything they stock is Frank Thomas Group crap that you can find at any bike shop within 10 miles of my gaff.

It's a damn shame that Fox's is no longer in business as it was a brilliant biker cafe and a great meeting place or final destination, but I won't mourn the passing of H Diner.
Old 10-05-10, 04:02 PM   #8
sv650nutter149

cafe is now back open with new staff food better but time is bit slow