SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Guildford Massive For the Guildford Guys N Girls.

Old 09-05-07, 06:23 PM   #1
thedonal

Default Nice Day For A Ride....

....and 2 near misses!

Well- last day of my long weekend and decided, despite the portent of rain this afternoon, to go for a spin and not sit around the flat with the doldrums (ie psyching myself up to being back in the office, under the workload again).

Did a nice run-to Newlands for a cuppa and one of those fine bacon rolls that they purvey, then south off the A25 to Cranleigh and through to Horsham.

On the way out of Horsham, got to a huge roundabout, onto it, up to second gear, started accelerating and leaning, then the back went nuts- a foot went down on the floor and the back skittered around more- I though "She's gonna go!" but didn't have much time for fear before I got myself upright and away. I laughed at a lucky escape on the way up and for the sheer joy of the edgier side of life but it was another lesson.

It was very wet today so I'm thinking I just went a bit to far and leaned over too much. It may have been diesel or oil on the road I s'pose, but I was on the inside lane, so less likely from a spilt diesel perspective. I was far more careful after that and all was good. Stopped at Rykers for a quick, tiny coffee to warm the hands up a bit and stretch the legs then off to see Ma and Pa.

Finally, just getting into King Charles Road when a c**t in a BMW overtakes (ie comes roaring out onto my side of the road) out of a traffic calming chicane right by the junction where I was about to stop- I stopped early, with more rear wheel sliding action going on and far more fear, adrenaline and finally rage. I was sorely tempted to follow the beemer and smash something on the reckless arrogant w**ker's car.

But I didn't. Just went home and washed the bike (the exhaust and wheels looked like I'd been at an off-road meet!).

I really didn't mind going riding in the rain and the smell around the trees was gorgeous- did about 75 miles in total, mostly at a moderate tempo and enjoying the lack of traffic around. Though stuck behind a lorry on the way back to Dorking- my visor went rather brown.

There are some luvverly twisties that side of the A25. Gonna have to learn that route a bit better....
Old 09-05-07, 06:34 PM   #2
sarah

Default Re: Nice Day For A Ride....

those little roads between newlands and cranleigh are fun if a bit bumpy in places. i like them because that's where my instructor took me just before my bike test (in Guildford), they took so much concentration that i didn't have time to get nervous about my impending test, took me to newlands corner for the first time then too

maybe see you at newlands some time soon, different bike to look out for now though
Old 09-05-07, 06:37 PM   #3
thedonal

Wow- that's quite a spin for a lesson! Whenever my instructor wanted to take us out for a spin on my DAS, I managed to klutz it and go back to square 1, so scuppered any plans for a nice relaxed ride!

I guess that's the downside of country roads- they're horrifically badly maintained in places. Plus, there are awkwardly placed manholes on the way out of a couple of really sweet left handers. Mostly, the roads are alright.

Mind you, there are some horrific bumps on the A24, just south of Dorking and approaching Boxhill from Leatherhead too- the'yre ridged joins where the road was resurfaced and halfway to being roadhumps- scared the hell out of my front forks a few times!

Looking forward to meeting yerself and the twin of evil proply! And seeing Stinky II, of course.

Last edited by thedonal; 09-05-07 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-05-07, 08:58 PM   #4
eviltwin

Doh, seems you and kwakadan have both had a dodgy week. Glad you came away in one piece
Old 11-05-07, 06:31 AM   #5
falc

Yer just reading both, glad everyone is staying intact
Old 11-05-07, 08:30 AM   #6
DanAbnormal

Glad you got back in one peice. Sliding in the rain is awesome, once you get used to it, it becomes quite fun and it's amazing how much traction you have as opposed to how much you think you have. Great stuff!
Old 11-05-07, 09:34 AM   #7
Stu
Trinity
Mega Poster

Glad you kept it upright. Now hopefully this will give you more confidence, not less.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 10:25 AM   #8
Law

Glad you're intact after your near misses. Keep an eye out for diesel and manhole covers in the wet cos they are as slippery as greased pig wrapped in cling film.
Old 11-05-07, 05:28 PM   #9
thedonal

Cheers folks. Yeah- these 'incidents' tend to increase confidence indeed. I think it's the lesson as well as feeling what certain situations are like- not like just reading about it and therefore fearing something which has not happened, if you catch my drift (geddit?!!).

I even laughed about the fool in the BMW when I got off my bike. Better to have a giggle about it than keep your anger I spose (though I'm quite good at that too...!).