SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-18, 12:40 PM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: AL7 opinions. day to day/touring/etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1ffR4ff View Post
I'll just add a general thing about V-Twins and another reason why I love them,"Engine Braking".And the SV650 has some of the best IMHO.

Once you incorporate the use of engine braking whilst riding it's sheer joy to me on some of the TT roads we have up-t-North here in Yorkshire.

Riding isn't always about acceleration and top-speeds to me.It's the whole kit and caboodle.Setting myself up for sweeping bends and throttling off with next to no use of brakes and no loss of traction
or even coming down into tight Twisties combining brakes and engine braking is superb

My 10 Penn'th.
I was very impressed with engine braking when I first rode my AL7, and still am I was so impressed I was coming up short to junctions and islands without the use of brakes and had to adjust to shutting off later to compensate for speed dropping off so quickly - bit of a learning curve but very satisfying. I think the SV engine is superb, and sounds luvverleeee. I love the narrowness of the bike as well (another benefit of 'V' twin), I can get both feet flat down with confidence and I am not the most long-legged bloke in the world. One other thing that surprised me as well was the lack of vibration of the engine from tickover to red line - an amazing feat of engineering by Suzuki.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 01:34 PM   #12
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I was very impressed with engine braking when I first rode my AL7, and still am I was so impressed I was coming up short to junctions and islands without the use of brakes and had to adjust to shutting off later to compensate for speed dropping off so quickly - bit of a learning curve but very satisfying. I think the SV engine is superb, and sounds luvverleeee. I love the narrowness of the bike as well (another benefit of 'V' twin), I can get both feet flat down with confidence and I am not the most long-legged bloke in the world. One other thing that surprised me as well was the lack of vibration of the engine from tickover to red line - an amazing feat of engineering by Suzuki.
As you know mine is a pretty early 1999 Curvy/Carby version.Once I'd dialled in a carb Balance and added some slightly larger diameter Gel grips I've ridden well over 200 miles in a day with no ,"Tinglies"

One thing I have noticed on my SV is around 7,000/8,000 revs there seems to be a nice power boost.Is this normal?If it isn't I don't care as I love it when overtaking a line of traffic on Dual Carriageways or Motorways.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 16-04-18 at 01:37 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 06:35 PM   #13
SVSte

I have had 3 SV's but the best so far is the AL7 super smooth I have put a Givi Screen on makes a lot of difference and Rear Hugger, same as other people great on the B roads and just as good on the motorway, Economy is great. and you can flat foot it. I have took the rear spring load to number 5 instead of 3 and makes a load of difference for my riding style.

Last edited by SVSte; 16-04-18 at 06:38 PM.
Old 16-04-18, 07:34 PM   #14
Craig380
Mega Poster

Some really good comments here.

The engine and slimness makes the bike, in my view. The engine is tireless, it will sing along at any sane speed (and quite a bit more than that) with plenty of easily-accessible grunt in hand.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-18, 09:28 PM   #15
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
Some really good comments here.

The engine and slimness makes the bike, in my view. The engine is tireless, it will sing along at any sane speed (and quite a bit more than that) with plenty of easily-accessible grunt in hand.
Totally +10

Even when I ride over the N Yorkshire Moors to Whitby,some of my favourite roads,the steep up-and-down gradients are nothing to the SV650 engine.It just effortlessly eats them up and purrs.

IIRC the SV650 engine was designed as a Motorcycle engine and not taken from other vehicles as some Motorcycle engines have been.I think this shows in it's solid performance

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 16-04-18 at 09:38 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 08:08 AM   #16
Craig380
Mega Poster

I was born & raised in Hull, so I know those roads well
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote