SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-09-17, 10:01 AM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Running Lights + Brighter Bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
There's a police backed theory that creating a triangle of lights helps drivers judge distances better - so the lower mounted auxiliary lights on some of the adventure type bikes are a good example to follow.
A triangle is still a triangle when apex is lowest point. IMHO mounting DRL higher (on handlebars) makes them more visible to other road users, especially on roads with dips and crests -and has benefit of keeping lens cleaner and away front stones kicked up by other vehicles.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 10:09 AM   #12
ophic
Mega Poster

I think the hypothesis goes along the lines that the triangle kind of depicts the size of the vehicle the driver expects to see. An inverted flattish triangle higher up off the road doesn't really do this.

Still there's only a minimal amount of data that supports it, so it's probably indistinguishable from "more lights = better".

Incidentally, do low mounted lights perform better in fog? Or is this another myth like the yellow coloured foglights of the 80s?
Old 29-09-17, 10:19 AM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

in fog there is a clear area just above the road surface, I think fog lights are put as low as possible to make use of this and at least reduce light absorption and scatter on outgoing beam, once light hits something and is reflected back to driver the light has to travel back through fog. All the 'fog' I have seen in last 30 years (and not really that much around these days) is no more than mist really, we don't get the smog that that you couldn't see past end of your nose any more. Yellow light is actually absorbed the least by water droplets, blue light is absorbed the most, so some science behind yellow lights.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-17, 10:46 AM   #14
ophic
Mega Poster

I thought scattering was the issue rather than absorption - ie how much gets reflected back at you from the fog rather than what you're trying to light.

I think there's also a benefit to getting the foglights as far from eye level as possible - although this would also render it less effective at lighting up directionally reflective surfaces like cats eyes or road signs or car reflectors, or modern hi-vis clothing.
Old 12-10-18, 10:05 AM   #15
zombie

I got the Cree 3 Watt running lights from Amazon.

£30 + £30 installation at the garage. They put them on brackets down on the radiator.

I'm very happy with them. They are bright and make a good triangle, which is supposedly good for cars seeing you.

So long as they last, I'd recommend them.
zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-18, 10:24 AM   #16
zombie

zombie is offline   Reply With Quote