SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 21-12-17, 09:32 AM   #11
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Triumph Bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
They use smartphone at home, in car, in restaurants, in the toilet, in bed - the one place it is hard to use their life support system is on a motorbike. They need to have the link broken and concentrate on something else for a while instead of checking their phone 3000 times a day.
Exactly what I was thinking, reading this thread.

I was also wondering if there'd been a similar impact on new drivers. In my (albeit now very London based) experience, the kids aren't very interested in learning to drive either. However this could be a function of a fairly comprehensive public transport system combined with easy access to scheduling information (via aforementioned mobile phones) and weather that's not quite so atrocious. And it's er... effort.
Old 21-12-17, 09:55 AM   #12
ophic
Mega Poster

I also notice we're turning into classic grumpy old folks. This thread can be summarized as follows:

"Not seen many Bobbers about"

"Those bloomin young people!"

Old 21-12-17, 12:10 PM   #13
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Unhappy Re: Triumph Bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
comprehensive public transport system combined with easy access to scheduling information (via aforementioned mobile phones) and weather that's not quite so atrocious. And it's er... effort.
A few years ago the Gadget Show did an experiment with two teams of two people. One team could use smart phone to access online sources to get themselves from a point in London to some point outside London using public transport only (no taxis) and the other team had to use 'conventional' sources of information, eg the phone and maps and timetables, but not online. The conventional team won by a decent margin, they only did the experiment once so may have been a happy accident, would have been nice to have seen result of best of three using same teams though.

Truth is, taking the smart phone away from millennial or generation Z person is like sending them into the world with a blindfold on. See them in a group and they instagram and facebook each other rather than talk face to face though - they sometimes shove the screen of their phone into someone elses face to make a point, but that is about as personal as it gets.....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-17, 12:53 PM   #14
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I've also noticed a lack of appetite for younger people to learn to drive. It is pretty pointless when insuring a car is so expensive, but of course you need a license to be able to hire a van, drive a works car etc. The lack of young people on bikes is similar, it's now expensive and difficult to get into, no end of hypocritical parents won't let them, and yes, the mere thought of inconvenience of any sort is anathema. The Get On scheme doesn't seem to have helped much, but from what I hear, too many training companies who were hosting them instead tried to strongarm people into doing their CBT and parting with cash, so leaving a bad taste.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-17, 02:05 PM   #15
ophic
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Truth is, taking the smart phone away from millennial or generation Z person is like sending them into the world with a blindfold on
When trying to accomplish something simple like walk down a street, actually giving them a phone is like blindfolding them. And plugging their ears as well.

I dunno if London is ahead of the game here but it's not just the "yoof" - professional commuters of all ages are just as bad.

My phone lives in my pocket, not in my hand, and I prefer my ears unblocked. I'm in the minority.
Old 21-12-17, 04:20 PM   #16
Trev B

Well all these comments seem to echo what I was saying in one shape or another.
Old 21-12-17, 09:58 PM   #17
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
My phone lives in my pocket, not in my hand, and I prefer my ears unblocked. I'm in the minority.
You and me both. I'm personally quite happy to be a trend bucker. Note the B at the start of that word...

Btw, the Trumpet forum I'm also known to frequent is rather split on the Bobber (my goodness, a reference to the OP!) as some like it and the eest of us don't.
Old 22-12-17, 08:43 AM   #18
Talking Heads

I think the bobber is hideous.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-17, 10:04 AM   #19
Talking Heads

Seen the Triumph dealer's demo bobber and that's it.
Have seen more self built customs appearing though, cut down Viragos with side mount numberplates and whitewalls, that kind of thing.
Not to my taste but hey ho whatever floats yer boat.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-17, 10:27 AM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...es-and-profits

The lower value of £Sterling may have helped Triumph overseas, but as article says 'Triumph UK sales down 15.5% year-on-year'.

Don't really like the look of the Bobber but as others say 'whatever floats your boat'.

Off topic a bit, Here is another story from Visordown on autonomous vehicle and motorbike colliding
http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-...d-rider-blamed

so easy to blame the rider and preserve the idea in peoples minds that Autonomous vehicles are safe.....
( just look at that car with its array of sensors, vandals just love to snap off car mirrors, so many more tempting targets on that car).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 22-12-17 at 10:33 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote