SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-06-12, 05:07 AM   #1
narfed

Exclamation clutch cable adjusted to max still loose not snapped, is it broken?

Hi, my clutch suddenly went loose on a ride and i thought maybe i snapped the cable. I was able to ride home as long as I had a push start, went to neutral at lights and I could switch gears doing the throttle matching thing...So I get home and adjust it at both the lever and adjuster end as per http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=126381

I can see that pulling the lever moves the cable at the other end and the pushrod (4 on the chart) goes in but the clutch is still really loose and is adjusted to the max on both ends (1) and (5b). I can see the threads of the screws at the very limit on both... so my question is, is my clutch cable actually broken? or is there an adjustment or something else I missed that would cause the things I experienced above.

I read that the cable will snap before they are worn so much that you get that much slack but my cable still seems to be moving, it is just way too loose so I am confused and worried that a new cable will just be the same looseness.
Old 28-06-12, 06:19 AM   #2
narfed

Thumbs up Re: clutch cable adjusted to max still loose not snapped, is it broken?

Found it! After some messing around. the pushpin behind (4) was snapped. Because of that the clutch lever felt "loose" even though the cable was moving on both ends. Resistance from the clutch cable to the actual clutch was not felt because of the broken pushpin. Hope this helps someone in the future! Sure would have helped me if I saw a post with this title and this answer after reading through 7 pages of "clutch cable"
Old 28-06-12, 07:45 AM   #3
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: clutch cable adjusted to max still loose not snapped, is it broken?

Time to replace the clutch adjuster assmbly - I did it last week, cot £41.04 from a Suzuki Dealer.

Actually - if the worm drive is good - I could get a pin to you - where do you live?

(I am assuming the pin is removable from the rest of the assembly)

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote