SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-02-08, 10:57 AM   #1
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default IHIE Guidelines for Motorcycling

http://motorcycleguidelines.org.uk/beta5/home.htm

might be of interest to someone...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 20-02-08 at 07:16 PM.
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-08, 11:37 AM   #2
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Default Re: IHIE Guidelines for Motorcycling

(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...

Last edited by the_lone_wolf; 20-02-08 at 04:44 PM.
Old 20-02-08, 12:41 PM   #3
rictus01
Mega Poster

to be quite honest not a great deal is surprising they, it's either well know information or waffle, although I did find these two bit's interesting.

the first was unknown to me and the second, although known, surprising to see in an official document.

1.5.3.1 There is also concern over the 23% (n=133) of riders killed in accidents where no other road-user was recorded as being involved. However, this figure is low compared with occupants of cars where 37% (n=613) died in such accidents during 2003 and even higher proportions for other larger vehicles

4.4.7 In the present situation, a typical urban road layout with a bus lane and a single all-purpose lane, during congested periods motorcyclists use the legal manoeuvre of “filtering” or passing to the right of stationary traffic.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-08, 12:46 PM   #4
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
to be quite honest not a great deal is surprising they, it's either well know information or waffle.
true, but i wasn't aware of the trials into ASL usage, an i expect others aren't aware of aother aspects. in the end, having the IHIE publishing meterial like this can't be a bad thing, even though they admit themselves that without policy change you are unlikely to affect the actual engineers themselves...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 20-02-08, 12:52 PM   #5
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
true, but i wasn't aware of the trials into ASL usage, an i expect others aren't aware of aother aspects. in the end, having the IHIE publishing meterial like this can't be a bad thing, even though they admit themselves that without policy change you are unlikely to affect the actual engineers themselves...
Oh I can't say I was aware either , well not until the clamp down recently on motorcycles that is, now they don't just randomly choose something to target, so (as shown) they must have had it highlighted in some way

Of course I could be wrong here, but pointing out what "normal practises" for motorcyclist the police can target isn't of great benefit.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
Old 20-02-08, 12:58 PM   #6
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Oh I can't say I was aware either , well not until the clamp down recently on motorcycles that is, now they don't just randomly choose something to target, so (as shown) they must have had it highlighted in some way

Of course I could be wrong here, but pointing out what "normal practises" for motorcyclist the police can target isn't of great benefit.

Cheers Mark.
not quite sure what you're aiming at there, the trials were similar to using bus lanes and showed similar benefits to all road users, i wouldn't think the police involvement in targeting bikers who use ASLs would be related to the research? or have i got completely the wrong end of the stick?

all the stuff on the website may seem obvious to you and i, because it's things we deal with regularly, but some of the concepts like providing showering and changing rooms for people arriving at work, or the reliance of bikes on front wheel grip, for example, are things that your average highways or planning engineer would never have experienced and wouldn't understand
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
Old 20-02-08, 01:24 PM   #7
rictus01
Mega Poster

rarely if at all do the conclutions translate into anything more than posturing or futile debate, and yet with very few exceptions the short term effect is a purge by the Met on "normal motorcycle practice" that would otherwise be left to officers common sense and judgement.

the argument over long term (intangible) benefits and short term (tangible) deficits is my point.

Cheers Mark.
Old 20-02-08, 02:25 PM   #8
Fizzy Fish

What I find most interesting about all of this is the TfL logo on a website that is putting a positive slant on m/cs using ASLs and bus lanes - neither of which are backed by TfL policy
Old 20-02-08, 02:38 PM   #9
rictus01
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzy Fish View Post
What I find most interesting about all of this is the TfL logo on a website that is putting a positive slant on m/cs using ASLs and bus lanes - neither of which are backed by TfL policy
Funnily enough I thought that, but didn't know if there'd been a change at all.
Old 20-02-08, 02:48 PM   #10
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
rarely if at all do the conclutions translate into anything more than posturing or futile debate
you mean except for things like "manual for streets" - which completely re-wrote the guidance issued to planning officers regarding residential design situations, leaving much more common sense and losing the strict one sized fits all approach previously used?

what the met do is their own problem, if bikers are using ASLs and bus lanes they hardly need cooperation from the motorcycling community to see that it's happening and act upon it, just because it's normal, safer or even sensible does not make it legal, and the police are there to enforce the laws, not decide what they are, if you don't like getting pulled don't break the law, it's that simple really, if you want to take a risk then feel free, i do...

as for long term benefits, the amount of provision you have to make for new developments now to encourage walking and cycling is staggering, and with a little effort motorcycling could also be added as a solution to congestion, the government policy clearly states that it should be, but motorcyclists are either too lazy or cynical to act upon it and make the changes happen, it's a shame to see people turn down an offer from such a large and influential organisation as the IHIE
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...