SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 01-03-07, 03:58 PM   #1
Ed

Default Now I understand

...why people don't like solicitors.

I've been acting for sellers on the sale of a company for the last 6 months - while the buyers have dragged their feet and been awkward. We are completing tomorrow, so I hand delivered all the signed papers to this solicitor's office today. His secretary went to check to see if he had any papers to give to me, came back and said not. Well there I was standing in the bloke's office and he didn't have the courtesy to come out and say hello.

So I said to the secretary that I didn't think he existed. She looked a bit startled by this, so I said 'well I've been dealing with him on this transaction for six months now and he has yet to return a single phone call'. Which is perfectly true
Old 01-03-07, 04:15 PM   #2
Tomcat

Default Re: Now I understand

I would say it was the cost of solicitors we don't like, not them personally

But you have a good point about not believing he was real, bet the receptionists face was a picture.
Old 01-03-07, 04:46 PM   #3
philipMac

I think... something goes on with people who are the king of their own little fiefdom. Solicitors, Doctors, there are a few jobs like this. You are off in your own little world there, and have a few staff you employ, but are never really challenged over anything.
What starts out as sort of foibles and idiosyncrasies ends up being full blown rudeness because there is no one to tell you where to get off.
You employ your staff, therefore they let you away with things.
You clients know you hold they keys to a black art, and thats what they need, so they indulge you since they are only going to see you once a year or something.
It just ends up with certain people being breathtakingly rude.

I have a had number of run ins with MDs who are not at all as bright as they think they are for instance. And they get very nervous when you start asking certain types of questions.

Research science people have this beaten out of them a bit, because you are dealing with loads of people who are as good as, or better than you, day in day out. When you think you are getting very smart altogether, some guy comes in from some institute in Germany and scares the crap out of you.
Old 01-03-07, 05:57 PM   #4
Ed

Come to think of it, this bloke has never even taken a call, either.
Old 01-03-07, 06:02 PM   #5
Tara

Our solicitor is fab
Old 01-03-07, 06:03 PM   #6
Cloggsy

Ed is spot on & NOBODY can say otherwise...

You da man Ed
Old 01-03-07, 06:35 PM   #7
Ed