SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-04-09, 10:53 AM   #1
Mel

Question Anyone with some cat Knowledge?

Hey guys,

Although getting an answer from a vet would be more logical - the local one charges for an appointment let alone medication/checks etc and until i get myself another job i cannot afford this yet.

Around Late july/early august my mum brought back a kitten for me that had been rescued from some crazy woman that was in the process of it being drowned..

Mylo's always had a screw loose and doesnt usually like attention unless he is ready for it. I started letting him out as he got older because everytime i came home from work my room would be trashed and glass smashed - attempts to kill my fish etc.

I havn't actually seen this myself, but i had a message from my mum with some weird behaviour - he or now she has been hissing at our other 2 male cats when they go to smell her behind also things like being
- overly friendly seeking attention off us which is completly different
- off her food
- being followed by our other 2 cats.

Sometimes people can tell straight away if cats are male or female, but mylo's always been a short and fluffy little thing. My mum and i just believed what we where told when mum brought him home to me..

Been reading on the internet and these are signs that Mylo could now infact be female - But we are still not sure if this is true, as you can see in this photo ...with all this fluff- its hard to look for any gender signs. and Mylo doesnt particually like it when we try to look..Natrually!

Felix and Jingles (our other cats) are twice the size of mylo and im pretty certain mylo isnt going to get any bigger..

So my question is basically if anyone knows for certain with out taking mylo to the vets if he/she is a boy or girl!?

And then of course if mylo was to become pregnant - can i sell them even if i dont know what specific type of breed they are?

And what the helll do i call him or her now? Shimmy?

This was when i first got mylo..

And is now not much bigger than this photo..

Thanks
Mel
Old 06-04-09, 10:58 AM   #2
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Default Re: Anyone with some cat Knowledge?

Get it down the vet and get it spayed NOW!

This will have 2 effects, to let you know if its a he or a she and to stop any little kitten surprises - males who are let out should also be neutered as part of responsible ownership.

To me it sound like a She who is coming into season......

█╬╬╬╬(•)iŻi▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 11:03 AM   #3
Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulKiss View Post
Get it down the vet and get it spayed NOW!

This will have 2 effects, to let you know if its a he or a she and to stop any little kitten surprises - males who are let out should also be neutered as part of responsible ownership.

To me it sound like a She who is coming into season......

Can you buy the spray anywhere else apart from the vets?
It sounds really irrisponsible but i just cant afford to take him or her to the vets - hopefully i could by the end of the month but for the time being i need alternatives!

Our to males are neutered - but its just the other cats obviously!
Old 06-04-09, 11:14 AM   #4
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss-Lylej View Post
not "sprayed" - "spayed"

as in having their nuts / ovaries out so they can't reproduce

i can't imagine a spray that would have the same effect
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 11:16 AM   #5
Kate Moss

Could you not borrow the money for the time being? I think you should get him/her checked. I know it isn't nice to ask to borrow money but it's not like it is for a new oair of shoes or anything!
At least your mind would be put at rest and the vet could give you some guidance as to breed/sex and general health issues.
x
Old 06-04-09, 11:17 AM   #6
Mel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
not "sprayed" - "spayed"

as in having their nuts / ovaries out so they can't reproduce

i can't imagine a spray that would have the same effect

Yeah i re-read it just then - been trying to edit what i wrote but sites being uber sloww.

If thats the case then i dont really have any other choice but to wait until ive got a job - which will hopefully be pretty soon the way things are looking.
If she gets pregnant in the meantime then i guess it will answer everything...Can you get cats spayed whenever or does it need to be straight away?
Old 06-04-09, 11:18 AM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

not spray....'spay'

Ok how old is your kitty now? I have a five month old male and you can see his danglies!
To tell a female or a male apart at a young age...
a male has a little mound of fur, with a tiny dot in the middle, and his bum.
a female has two holes, bum and the other one

She'll not be liking the sniffing round as shes perhaps in season and if shes got out, she'll likely to be carrying kitties.

I have got two ten yr old males, and a five month male. I hate having females for the reason your having!
Our male is deserate to get out, and is very destructive, once his balls are lobbed off at the end of the week, and his hernia sewn up.....out he goes!

If she is carrying kittens and isn't too far gone, they can be sadly aborted when shes spayed. If she is in season but not carrying I think you may have to wait a while, although not sure on that one as I don't have female cats.

A female can be done at a slight earlier time than a male. I know Tibbs is having an early nueter due to his hernia. They're usually done around six months when you can see the little danglies.
I usually wait until nine months when a cat is fully mature.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12

Last edited by dizzyblonde; 06-04-09 at 11:22 AM.
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 11:32 AM   #8
CoolGirl

Your local Cat's Protection League http://www.cats.org.uk/ or RSPCA http://www.rspca.org.uk/ should be able to do it free or cheap (or at least know who can).

It's a minor op an your kitty will be fine in a day or two.
Old 06-04-09, 11:32 AM   #9
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
It sounds really irrisponsible but i just cant afford to take him or her to the vets - hopefully i could by the end of the month but for the time being i need alternatives!

Our to males are neutered - but its just the other cats obviously!
I hope you have pet insurance then, if she needs emergency treatment for anything its mega-bucks - had to get one cats leg sewn up after he got in a fight - that was over £100.

If you are strapped for cash, try the RSPCA or other animal charities to see if they can help you out.

█╬╬╬╬(•)iŻi▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-09, 11:34 AM   #10
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
If thats the case then i dont really have any other choice but to wait until ive got a job - which will hopefully be pretty soon the way things are looking.
If she gets pregnant in the meantime then i guess it will answer everything...Can you get cats spayed whenever or does it need to be straight away?
I'm not a vet but with dogs it's better to spay at a certain time of year, when they're not in season iirc

I'd be keeping him/her away from other cats for now as you really don't need a litter of kittens!!!
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote