SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-18, 06:06 PM   #11
ll_Woolley_ll

Default Re: Trying to find parts for a K8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650s View Post
Gixxer front end waste of money unless your racing try it before you start spending cash for nothing they ain't bad standard.
That's why I hate reading reviews. One said the sv brakes we ok when new, so being 10yo now they won't be the best, especially now that bikes have abs (Think it's pointless on a bike, could be wrong but that's my early assumption)

I'll just have a proper look through the service manual and try find a schedule of sorts and work from that. Haven't really looked over it, just wanted to get out on it.
ll_Woolley_ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 06:10 PM   #12
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll_Woolley_ll View Post
That's why I hate reading reviews. One said the sv brakes we ok when new, so being 10yo now they won't be the best, especially now that bikes have abs (Think it's pointless on a bike, could be wrong but that's my early assumption)

I'll just have a proper look through the service manual and try find a schedule of sorts and work from that. Haven't really looked over it, just wanted to get out on it.
IMHO ABS is not pointless on a bike.....

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-18, 06:38 PM   #13
ll_Woolley_ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
IMHO ABS is not pointless on a bike.....
Yeah that's fair. My thinking is though if you upset the balance abs isn't gunna stop the bike from tipping.

I haven't riden a bike with abs to have a valid opinion.

I get the idea of it for bikes, but it seems like something that should have been there from the start.
Old 08-10-18, 09:08 PM   #14
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I fitted a Red Fox one to mine (carbon effect). Holding up well. Fairly easy to remove the front guard to fit it. Use the fittings it comes with plus some sort of glue to keep it secure.

http://www.red-fox.com/fender-extend...-fender-flicks

The Haynes manual is worth having too. I'm fairly sure that has service interval info in it.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 08-10-18 at 09:10 PM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 12:23 AM   #15
Bibio
Mega Poster

K8> dont suffer the same wet plug syndrome as the earlier models as they added a redesigned flap off the bottom of the radiator and its a twin spark so two plugs, if one fails the other still works. what a crapflap does do is protect the radiator.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 09:37 PM   #16
ll_Woolley_ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
K8> dont suffer the same wet plug syndrome as the earlier models as they added a redesigned flap off the bottom of the radiator and its a twin spark so two plugs, if one fails the other still works. what a crapflap does do is protect the radiator.
I see. So an extended fender was mainly to keep the spark plug from getting water logged, with the added benefit of giving some protection to the radiator. Now it's purely radiator protection.

This is going slightly off topic, but not massively. I've seen a lot of websites and videos on about setting the bike up for the rider. You mentioned it aswel regarding the suspension. What sort of places would I be looking at to do this?
Old 10-10-18, 12:37 PM   #17
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll_Woolley_ll View Post
I see. So an extended fender was mainly to keep the spark plug from getting water logged, with the added benefit of giving some protection to the radiator. Now it's purely radiator protection.

This is going slightly off topic, but not massively. I've seen a lot of websites and videos on about setting the bike up for the rider. You mentioned it aswel regarding the suspension. What sort of places would I be looking at to do this?
yup just to protect radiator.

suspension upgrading depends on how long you have been riding and how much of a fast rider you are. be honest to YOURSELF. another factor is how many miles do you do each time your out on the bike. no point in having fancy suspension if your just nipping to your local bike cafe then home again. anything under 100miles is a waste of decent suspension.

the problem with the SV (pointy) suspension is that its designed for someone around 8-9st and is only preload adjustable and has little rebound dampening so you get the "pogo stick" sensation. this is fine for most "newbie" riders. if you cant tell there is something wrong with your suspension then you dont need anything better.

good suspension costs money and a fair old bit of it so if your not prepared to spend a min of £200 then dont go down that road. to do it properly is around £1k. yes you can do it cheeper like a lot of others but in reality its a bodge.

what i'm trying to say is that unless your going to get the shock and springs matched to your weight then no point in spending money going somewhere for them to "set the bike up".

Last edited by Bibio; 10-10-18 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-10-18, 01:51 PM   #18
ll_Woolley_ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
yup just to protect radiator.

suspension upgrading depends on how long you have been riding and how much of a fast rider you are. be honest to YOURSELF. another factor is how many miles do you do each time your out on the bike. no point in having fancy suspension if your just nipping to your local bike cafe then home again. anything under 100miles is a waste of decent suspension.

the problem with the SV (pointy) suspension is that its designed for someone around 8-9st and is only preload adjustable and has little rebound dampening so you get the "pogo stick" sensation. this is fine for most "newbie" riders. if you cant tell there is something wrong with your suspension then you dont need anything better.

good suspension costs money and a fair old bit of it so if your not prepared to spend a min of £200 then dont go down that road. to do it properly is around £1k. yes you can do it cheeper like a lot of others but in reality its a bodge.

what i'm trying to say is that unless your going to get the shock and springs matched to your weight then no point in spending money going somewhere for them to "set the bike up".
Yeah I get that bit, gunna leave it as is for now, maybe do what you said and just refurb what's already there.

When I said about setting the bike up I meant the preload on the standard suspension, the levers, rear brake and gear selector and all that sort of stuff.

Basically this https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...p-a-motorcycle
Old 10-10-18, 02:12 PM   #19
Bibio
Mega Poster

yup setup all the controls to suit you. as for prelaod it depends on your weight whether or not your going to actually get it within the ball park. so lets start with how heavy you are....

the complication of a miss matched spring preload to match a rider is you will either top out or bottom out the suspension travel with the rider off the bike.

i'll try to explain this. lets say you have springs on the bike that are suited to an 8st rider and you are 11st, more commonly people will wind the preload up till they can get as near to the recommended "sag settings" as they can. the problem with this is that you will "top out" the suspension when the rider gets off the bike. the bike needs "give" in the form of "bike sag" for the dampers to function properly. call it "negative suspension travel" and its purpose is to allow for slow chassis movement like braking and acceleration. lets say you are hard on the brakes and the rear of the bike lifts, with a "topped out" preload the rear wheel will lift off the ground a loooot easier than a bike with the proper "bike sag". with the rear wheel now off the ground you have diminished your braking performance as well as upset the chassis so more inclined to crash if you hit a bump.

if you haven't worked it out yet, its worse to set up suspension if its going to remove bike sag. so you set your bike up for bike sag only and wherever the suspension falls with the rider on it is better than topping out with an over preloaded spring. however if the rider is wayyyyyy over the recommended then its time for new springs or a different bike.