SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-09, 12:52 PM   #1
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Exclamation IB Threads are like books in a library

Hey everyone

I'm posting this since there has recently been a spate of "i dont wanna read this" comments and other comments of "take it to the megathread"

To me, Idle Banter is the place for all things not bike related. Yes we all have one thing in common, we joined this site due to our love of bikes. But we also have lives and like to talk to our friends, virtual and real, about other stuff. And thats what IB is for.

Threads titles...they are like the spines of books on the shelf in a library. They may seem interesting, intriguing or may be completely obvious as to their contents. So you take the book off the shelf because of its title and your curiosity. You read a bit of it an if you like it you keep reading it. If you dont you put it back. You dont go back to the book you didnt like again and again just to make sure you still dont like it do you? You also dont go to the librarian and say "i dont like this book, to me its mindless trash and since i feel this way about it can you throw it out your library or burn it please." So please try and treat threads in the same way.

On the flip side of this. If you wrote a book you'd want it to appeal to as wide an audience as possible right? You'd also want all who read it to be hooked or at least mildly interested. If you had an interactive book you'd like the feedback you got to be positive. If you wrote a book that appealed to only 4 or 5 people in the world you'd realise you're gonna keep getting poor reviews and eventually any book that has you name on it is gonna be talked about in not so spectacular terms. Would you then expect the library to fill itself with your work if it appeals to no one much? Would you be surprised if people either complained to the librarian or just stopped going to that library and found one they liked more?

So what i'm saying is this ... IB is for all the community and if you post something in it try and think about its impact. If you read something that you dont like, dont read it again and again and let it annoy you ... but also dont feel you cant speak up and air your views. However sometimes airing your views to a hostile crowd aint the best idea but having a word with a friendly dictator who carries a mod hammer may be the better approach for the harmony of the community.

This message was brought to you with all the best will in the world and much love.

Your friendly neighbourhood freak
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Old 08-12-09, 02:10 AM   #2
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: IB Threads are like books in a library

I have a question .

What`s a Library ?

Old 08-12-09, 02:24 AM   #3
davepreston

I too have a question

Whats a book?

Old 08-12-09, 02:35 AM   #4
barwel1992

libary

book

Old 08-12-09, 03:49 AM   #5
xXBADGERXx

Gotcher

Last edited by xXBADGERXx; 08-12-09 at 03:51 AM.

Old 08-12-09, 01:41 PM   #6
Von Teese

Spidey....what can I say, Im very impressed!

I KNEW there was a reason they made you a mod (apart from your haunting good looks, captivating smile and wit that could charm the birds out of the pubs)

Hear Hear! Well put! I totally agree!

Old 08-12-09, 01:45 PM   #7
speedplay

I didnt realise that spiderman knew what a book or a library were!

More suprised that hes put a few intelligent sentances together instead of a blatant p*** take too!!

Are you feeling ok mate?!

ps, who really wrote this OP for you?

Old 08-12-09, 01:58 PM   #8
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

Yay, well said, if you don't like it don't post on it. Use the inbuilt 'ignore' function on your mouse hand.

Spidey sometime you just make sense....

However I don't see why you posted that in here

Look right-> <-Look Left
Old 08-12-09, 02:11 PM   #9
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

Haha, thanks for the comments guys.

i did indeed write it all out, in my bestest handwritting too, got my mummy to look it over and then gave it to the librarian to see what she thought of it. She had to discuss it with a friend...

And hey presto you have the benefit of my wisdom and experience diluted and filtered into a language that even you mere mortals can comprehend. I tried not to use big words to avoid confusing, well mainly you lot of have posted on here so far.

Its only taken you 3 days to notice the post and comment on it
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Old 08-12-09, 02:14 PM   #10
_Stretchie_
Large Member
Mega Poster

I don't like these threads where people post pics like that...........

They should send the pics directly to my e-mail

Look right-> <-Look Left
Closed Thread