SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 07-03-06, 08:01 AM   #1
Shinsei Jutsu

Default Can anyone help with a central heating problem?

For a while now our upstairs radiator has only been getting half warm, so last night I beld the thing. Loads of air came out and the radiator was nice and hot.
The heating went off as normal but now when the heating comes on that radiator stays cold.
I have checked the pressure in the boiler and all seems fine there, and all other radiators are hot.

Anyone have any idea what would be wrong and what I would need to check?

Thank you in advance

Shin
Old 07-03-06, 08:10 AM   #2
Stingo

Sounds a bit like it needs venting again - air will always find the highest point, there could be lots in the system. When I've bled mine, I find that I need to add more water to the boiler circuit to repressurise the system - the tap (a small shut-off valve or ****) for this in my case is located next to the boiler. The pressure gauge has a red zone and a blue zone - basically I need to keep the pressure in the blue zone.
It might be that air is being drawn into your system from somewhere so as fast as your bleeding it, the stuff is getting back in there...it'll be a case of narrowing down the possibilities...just my opinion, not a solution...there's lots of different boilers/systems out there.
Old 07-03-06, 08:24 AM   #3
Mr Toad

Try venting it again
It will depend on what system you have, but venting a lot of air from a radiator can require the system to be topped up by quite an amount. You may have induced an airlock (depends on how your pipes run)

Also consider what has caused the air to build up - it may be that your system is old and possibly subject to some corrosion which can cause a build up of gas - I'd make sure that you have corrosion proofer in the system, add some if you haven't.
The old trick used to be to drain off a jam jar full of water, put a nail in it, and if the nail started to rust in a day or 2, you need to add corrosion proofer. You can pick it up at B&Q

hth
Old 07-03-06, 08:34 AM   #4
Viney
Mega Poster

Mines doing that. Pressure keeps dropping. I just keep bleeding the system and toping the wqater up in it.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 08:38 AM   #5
Shinsei Jutsu

I topped the pressure up this morning, and the radiator is full of water, but it's not heating up. Could this be a air bubble or something in the pipe before that rad?
How do I get rid of it? Bloody things!
Old 07-03-06, 08:44 AM   #6
keithd

is the rad giving you grief the furthest away from the boiler? i had the same problems, it was just a case of persevearance, kept bleeding the bleeder and it seemed to cure it eventually, i'm guessing i managed to push all the air out of the system
Old 07-03-06, 08:45 AM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Warning shamless plug alert

Shin join the screwfix plumbers talk forum, post your question up on there and somebody will be able to help you

http://www.screwfix.com/talk/forum.jspa?forumID=25

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 08:47 AM   #8
Shinsei Jutsu

It's the only upstairs radiator. I will just have to persist and keep bleeding it.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-06, 08:51 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinsei Jutsu
It's the only upstairs radiator. I will just have to persist and keep bleeding it.

Thanks guys.
Or buy a jumper
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 09:44 AM   #10
Shinsei Jutsu

Well that screwfix direct lot! None of them have replied, unlike you lot who are on the case in seconds and so very very helpful.

thanks though Fizz, I'm sure they'll come through when they get up and get round to looking