SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 15-07-08, 03:20 PM   #1
hovis

Unhappy car done a U-turn in front of me

the traffic was at a stanstill for about a mile, so i filter past alot of it , pulling in when somthing is comming the other way, if theres not enough room, i must have passed at least 70 cars, when one decides to do a U-turn in front of me, i almost stopped in time but not quite.

the guy said sorry, and he had been stuck there ages, and did not see me,

it looks like its snapped the light bracket, and thats about it,

we swapped details.

i was just wondering if i was ok to filter, it was single white lines, and he did not indicate

i was doing 10-15 mph in 1st gear, with lights on

Old 15-07-08, 03:24 PM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: car done a U-turn in front of me

Hmm rather a grey area on that mate, I think you are ok to do it at the speed you did it with standstill traffic though. With it been solid whites though I'm not sure. Are you okay?
Old 15-07-08, 03:24 PM   #3
Girth
Mega Poster

Hope your ok dude!

Legallity of filtering is a funny old game IIRC, i'm sure someone will be along to confirm though
Old 15-07-08, 03:28 PM   #4
hovis

im ok, and did not come off,

theres very little damage (as far as i can tell) as i said the lights been pushed back, and a bracket has snapped.

the guy appologised a few times,

i have all the hassle of sorting insurance out now,

i remember somthing simerler happening to zombie jesus

Last edited by hovis; 15-07-08 at 03:30 PM.
Old 15-07-08, 03:31 PM   #5
drag

Did he admit it was his fault, and do you have a witness ? did ye call the old bill ?

Could get nasty, but take him to the cleaners, he wont do it again in a rush ... imo, that could be the irish opinion comming out there also...
Old 15-07-08, 03:33 PM   #6
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag View Post
Did he admit it was his fault, and do you have a witness ? did ye call the old bill ?

Could get nasty, but take him to the cleaners, he wont do it again in a rush ... imo, that could be the irish opinion comming out there also...
he admited fault, there was loads of cars about, but none stoped, police were not called
Old 15-07-08, 03:36 PM   #7
Bear

It's his fault. You are perfectly within your rights to make progress through stationary traffic. If he's made a manouver without doing appropriate checks and a clear signal to other road users then he is at fault.
Old 15-07-08, 03:36 PM   #8
drag

Best to try and get a quote and bring it to him, go out side the insurance, i doubt it's any diff with you folks than it is here, but if you have an accident you must report it to the old bill, and witnesses are always handy to say he done it.

Good to hear your ok of course mate, plastic can be repaired as always
Old 15-07-08, 03:37 PM   #9
ooger

Unlucky mate, at least you didn't come off.

It could have been worse, I was 4 cars away from one this morning that could have had me right off, and in front of oncoming traffic:

Filtering as you were, along a road with double solids, but not crossing the solids to filter, I was, the road's fairly wide in places. Where its not I pull back in. Then the double solids turn to single broken lines, normal rules apply. A car 4-5 or so in front then chose to overtake (filter) the car in front, mainly because it had not pulled right up to the next car in front, it just rolled down the hill out of gear slowly (there were another 15-20 cars before the roundabout causing the queue, so there was no hurry really, this was just impatience).

Had I been there (in front) instead of further back I'd have been easily sideswiped (she didn't check, I saw that much), knocked off to the righthand side with the bike on top of me, and traffic coming at me round a corner at about 30mph.

From what you say it sounds like it wasn't your fault, but I wasn't there.

Good luck getting it sorted, its a right pain the ****

My instructor always taught me to imagine that all car drivers are out to kill you. Think like that and you won't go far wrong.
Old 15-07-08, 03:38 PM   #10
ThEGr33k

I think you are fine even on solids. Its something like you can overtake if the traffic is moving at less than 10mph. Still can be dodgy though.

Seriously people need to be more aware of bikers!!! Grr.

Glad you are ok, GL with it all!