SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 25-07-11, 05:42 PM   #1
Noddy

Default Mod 1 tomorrow morning.

As above, bot my mod 1 in the morning. Been out with the instructor today practicing the maneuvers but my trumps seem to have lumps in them. I hope I don't fall to pieces and fluff it.
Old 25-07-11, 05:56 PM   #2
megs

Default Re: Mod 1 tomorrow morning.

Good luck mate, passed mine about 3-4 weeks ago. Just keep it smooth on the slow speed bit and don't try and hit 50kph on the swerve and stop bit, aim to go over it by at least 5kph. I wasn't even looking at my speedo, just put it in second before the bend then open it up as you start coming out. My speeds were 58 for stop, then 59 for swerve which the examiner said was great, although my instructor said i was too fast lol but who cares i passed with no minors. My biggest fear was the u-turn i kept putting my foot down when practicing but on the day the lines seemed very far apart and it was easy, just keep it smooth. Good luck!
Old 25-07-11, 06:15 PM   #3
Noddy

My nemesis today in training was the figure of 8. We were however training in a very narrow road. The left circle was the most awkward for me. The instructor did say that there was a lot more space available on the actual test course, although I still had to try not to go too wide. At the end of todays session things really fell into place and I was performing that section much smoother. I think the main problem was lack of familiarity with the bike in the early part of the day. Every thing else seemed to go pretty well.
Old 25-07-11, 07:23 PM   #4
ty_uk

Good luck!!
Old 25-07-11, 07:56 PM   #5
DJFridge

Good luck and remember, if you are good on the swerve or the emergency stop but a little under speed, they will let you do it again. So don't do what I did and worry that my swerve was too slow so really went for it on the emergency stop. I was doing well over 60kph. I snatched the brake. I crashed (yey, I'm an official statistic!!). I hurt myself.

Did it again three months later (once I could ride again!) and took it nice and calm. Easy peasy, exactly 50kph squeezy.
Old 25-07-11, 08:28 PM   #6
maxinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
My nemesis today in training was the figure of 8. We were however training in a very narrow road. The left circle was the most awkward for me.
It took me a while to figure this one out but the simplest, safest and most stable way to do it is to pick a point in the middle of the two cones and try to hit it perpendicular every time from both directions. This would give you 2 perfect circles around each cone with plenty of space to spare. I did my Mod 1 on a SV650 this way, and I didn't even had to pull the clutch in (although the examiner would want to see you cover it).

Good luck tomorrow!
Old 25-07-11, 08:32 PM   #7
Terah

Good luck!
Old 25-07-11, 08:38 PM   #8
The Idle Biker

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

This little fella has some good advice for all those facing bike tests!

(Watch it all)
Old 25-07-11, 09:03 PM   #9
T-Man

Good luck its not that hard.

I got 1km/h under the trap :@ Then on the 1st redo i forgot which manouver i was doing XD Got it on the 3rd though.
Just remember to always do checks before moving away. Even when you're at the gate waiting for him to open it and go through..... While you're in the area, you're marked as on the road; thus being tested.
Old 25-07-11, 11:02 PM   #10
ant-g

For the speed trap just gun it in second, don't even look at your speedo. My little YBR was nearly pinging off it's rev limiter but it just soldiered on