SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-01-14, 08:39 PM   #11
suzukigt380paul

Default Re: Police cause SV650 to crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Not strictly the case though.If someone pulled out of a side road and you couldnt stop it would be their fault legally.The cop essentially "pulled out" in front of the bikes and one couldnt stop in time.Legally I reckon the cop could well be to blame there,even if from an "advanced driving" perspective the bike should have had better forward vision.
never make it to court,even when it is 100 percent there/police/ambulance etc which ever emegency service's fault,not saying they are immune to prosecution but shall we say its a up hill challange
Old 05-01-14, 09:36 PM   #12
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Can't say I'd advocate stopping bikes on a speed check like that...... however it's not just the officer who hadn't thought things through.... Learning curve all round I'd say, natural justice has been served so not much to be achieved by taking either party to court.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 09:38 PM   #13
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch00 View Post
You should not travel faster than you can see to safely stop on your side of the road.

If it wasn't an officer in the way how about an animal like a pheasant or sheep?

Rider error.
Have to agree, considering first rider stopped no problem, total rider error, he wasn't looking and panicked, he could've just gone round him and pulled up after.
Old 05-01-14, 09:40 PM   #14
Spank86

If the first rider hit the cop I'd say it could have been the cops fault, the second rider hit a guy in front of him who braked.

That's always going to be the guy at the backs fault.
Old 05-01-14, 09:42 PM   #15
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Can't say I'd advocate stopping bikes on a speed check like that...... however it's not just the officer who hadn't thought things through.... Learning curve all round I'd say, natural justice has been served so not much to be achieved by taking either party to court.
i bet the cop wouldnt have jumped out in the path of the oncoming traffic if it was a articulated lorry
Old 05-01-14, 09:46 PM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukigt380paul View Post
i bet the cop wouldnt have jumped out in the path of the oncoming traffic if it was a articulated lorry
An articulated lorry wouldn't have needed stopping.....
Old 05-01-14, 09:51 PM   #17
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
An articulated lorry wouldn't have needed stopping.....
single carrage way 60mph limit,lorry 40mph,they can be done for speeding just like us
and i know its going off the subject a bit,but every single lorry going up a dual carriageway at 56mph,(which they all do)is speeding,never seen one pulled over

Last edited by suzukigt380paul; 05-01-14 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-01-14, 10:01 PM   #18
21QUEST
Mega Poster

The second rider appears to have written a cheque which his skills set couldn't cash.

That said, what a daft and stupid stop by the Copper

Personally, I wouldn't be happy(even in a car)being stopped by a Copper in such conditions and location.
Getting the bike stopped wouldn't an issue but putting a(mine) life in unnecessary danger would be....what if the vehicle behind was a car/bus/ lorry and not a bike?

Hopefully, everyone was okay.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 10:04 PM   #19
Red Herring
Mega Poster

If I have to be serious I would concede that you have a very good point, especially on the single carriageways. On dual carriageways however there is a very strong argument that it is actually safer to let the lorries do their 56 plus as it tends to be speed differential between vehicles on multi-lane roads that causes the problems.

Of course, Transit vans and such like are the worst offenders of the lot....
Old 05-01-14, 10:11 PM   #20
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
If I have to be serious I would concede that you have a very good point, especially on the single carriageways. On dual carriageways however there is a very strong argument that it is actually safer to let the lorries do their 56 plus as it tends to be speed differential between vehicles on multi-lane roads that causes the problems.

Of course, Transit vans and such like are the worst offenders of the lot....
arnt transit vans are allowed to to 80 to keep up with the cars,just like the lorries doing 56mph,all to keep the multi-lane roads running,just dont ask me what i drive,but it is white!!

Last edited by suzukigt380paul; 05-01-14 at 10:12 PM.