SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 05-01-14, 10:14 PM   #21
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Police cause SV650 to crash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukigt380paul View Post
arnt transit vans are allowed to to 80 to keep up with the cars,just like the lorries doing 56mph,all to keep the multi-lane roads running,just dont ask me what i drive,but it is white!!
Something like that...
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 10:14 PM   #22
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
arnt transit vans are allowed to to 80 to keep up with the cars,just like the lorries doing 56mph,all to keep the multi-lane roads running,just dont ask me what i drive,but it is white!!

Non car derived vans are subject to the same speed limits as Goods vehicles, 60mph on a DC. 3.5T Luton vans are only allowed in lane 3 of the motorway so long as they are empty-carrying no load at all.

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 10:17 PM   #23
Specialone

My new transit is limited to 70 got to get the ecu modified to remove it.
Old 05-01-14, 10:56 PM   #24
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
Non car derived vans are subject to the same speed limits as Goods vehicles, 60mph on a DC. 3.5T Luton vans are only allowed in lane 3 of the motorway so long as they are empty-carrying no load at all.
no,Goods vehicles (not more than 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight),apart from 30mph limits they areallowed to do 10mph more then a hgv,so that 30 in a 30, 50 on a single carriageway 60 on a dual carriageway and 70 on a motorway so thats, van 30 50 60 70 and a hgv 30 40 50 60
Old 05-01-14, 10:58 PM   #25
Specialone

I'm sure i read vans are supposed to do 10mph less on mways and dual carriageways, car derived vans are exempt.
Old 05-01-14, 10:59 PM   #26
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
I'm sure i read vans are supposed to do 10mph less on mways and dual carriageways, car derived vans are exempt.
https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
Old 05-01-14, 11:07 PM   #27
DJ123
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjob View Post
Quote:
no,Goods vehicles (not more than 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight),apart from 30mph limits they areallowed to do 10mph more then a hgv,so that 30 in a 30, 50 on a single carriageway 60 on a dual carriageway and 70 on a motorway so thats, van 30 50 60 70 and a hgv 30 40 50 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Quote:

Type of vehicle
Cars and vehicles (including dual-purpose vehicles and car-derived vans up to 2 tonnes max laden weight)

Built-up areas mph 30
Single carriageways mph 60
Dual carriageways mph 70
Motorways mph 70

Vans and ‘car-derived’ vans

Most vans are under 7.5 tonnes laden (loaded) weight and must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight.
‘Car-derived’ vans weigh no more than 2 tonnes when loaded and are based on car designs, for example:

• Ford Fiesta van
  • Vauxhall Astra van
  • Fiat Punto van
  • Peugeot 207 van
  • Renault Clio van

BMW F800ST

Last edited by DJ123; 05-01-14 at 11:08 PM.
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-14, 11:19 PM   #28
Specialone

I drive to the conditions anyway so I'm exempt
Old 05-01-14, 11:30 PM   #29
Fordward

First bike had to do a full on emergency stop and handled it very well. The forks were on full compression and the front tyre was chattering on the tarmac as he came to a halt. Perhaps his bike had ABS.

Second bike if you look at his helmet cam couldn't see the copper walk out as his view was obscured by the first bike, the first bikes brake light wasn't that obvious because of the fog. At that speed he was probably looking past the first bike at the road ahead anyway. He had less time to react and his braking skills weren't up to scratch, but how many of us can honestly say we practice our emergency braking, know exactly what we can and can't do, and would have certainly have done a better job of it. He wasn't doing much more than 10 mph when he hit the back of the first bike so he wouldn't have been much more than a bikes length further in stopping.

Third bike could see the copper walk out and had a much greater distance to stop.

The copper is a complete KNOB and he's lucky the first bike didn't either bin it first or hit him.
Old 05-01-14, 11:36 PM   #30
suzukigt380paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
First bike had to do a full on emergency stop and handled it very well. The forks were on full compression and the front tyre was chattering on the tarmac as he came to a halt. Perhaps his bike had ABS.

Second bike if you look at his helmet cam couldn't see the copper walk out as his view was obscured by the first bike, the first bikes brake light wasn't that obvious because of the fog. At that speed he was probably looking past the first bike at the road ahead anyway. He had less time to react and his braking skills weren't up to scratch, but how many of us can honestly say we practice our emergency braking, know exactly what we can and can't do, and would have certainly have done a better job of it. He wasn't doing much more than 10 mph when he hit the back of the first bike so he wouldn't have been much more than a bikes length further in stopping.

Third bike could see the copper walk out and had a much greater distance to stop.

The copper is a complete KNOB and he's lucky the first bike didn't either bin it first or hit him.
first bike is a vfr750,so no linked brakes,no abs,but has anti dive forks